Acer Aspire TC-895 (i7/16/512/UMA) - What do i need to install a 3,5 harddrive?

ovehus
ovehus Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi there.

I bought an Aspire TC-895 a couple of weeks ago. 
One of my hobbies is music production, so I need a lot of diskspace for all my samples.
When I ordered this computer I was fully aware that the SSD was just 512GB. But I got alot of 3,5" harddrives (Sata) lying around, so I thought I could just install one of them.
When I opened up the cabinet earlier, i found out there wasn't a slot for any harddrives. Do I need to buy a mount/HDD-module? If yes, what type do I need?

Best Answer

• DS549
    DS549 Member Posts: 32 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi

You don't need to buy a mount. You attach your HDD to the metal plate at the front of your PC:

There's two white power connectors on the motherboard - the Acer part number for the power cable is 50.VQED3.001.
    Another solution is to buy an external USB 3.0 HDD enclosure - there's plenty of these on Amazon.

Answers

• DS549
    DS549 Member Posts: 32 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi

You don't need to buy a mount. You attach your HDD to the metal plate at the front of your PC:

There's two white power connectors on the motherboard - the Acer part number for the power cable is 50.VQED3.001.
    Another solution is to buy an external USB 3.0 HDD enclosure - there's plenty of these on Amazon.

• ovehus
    ovehus Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you sir!
  • sccarlyle
    sccarlyle Member Posts: 2 New User
    When line up my 3.5" HDD like the picture shows only two screw holes line up. No matter which I way I turn it I can not get the 4 holes to line up....What am I missing???
  • sccarlyle
    sccarlyle Member Posts: 2 New User
    So after doing some research my screw holes are not in the same place. I have 2 Western Digital 10TB Red Pro HDDs and the 4 holes are spread out about 1 1/4" further than other HDDs. I have no clue why except maybe these are technically NAS drives... Any workaround that anyone knows???
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Can you take a picture showing the screw holes? It'd be pretty surprising for them to be in the wrong place.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @sccarlyle

The hard disk drive tray is intended for one 3.5" HDD plus one 2.5" HDD/SSD or two 2.5" HDD/SSD. Only the four orange color mounting holes are for that one 3.5" HDD. If you want to mount two 3.5" HDD to the tray you may need to drill holes for the second drive.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Those orange screws are correct for a 2.5" drive, but the nearby holes also line up to a 3.5" if it's placed sideways. Those are the ones I circled in green here:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.