acer aspire switch 10 sw5-012 SD card accessing

Options
Suhail1966
Suhail1966 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
Hello
I have acer aspire switch 10 sw5-012 32Gb internal & 32Gb SD card storage working fine for the past 5 years. Suddenly I unable to access the SD card. I thought it got damaged but it is working on the phone and on the laptop. Tried a new SD card but still my Acer don't see it. I even can't see the SD in desk management. 
What would be the reason and how can I fix this issue? 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,961 Trailblazer
    Options
    The SD card reader is soldered to the motherboard, so there's not a lot that can go wrong with it. Can you see if there's anything in there that would interfere with the card? Does it click in and out OK?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Suhail1966
    Options
    I used a magnifier with good light, nothing looks interfering there. It clicks in and out normally. 
    I made a factory reset and erased everything with no success. SD card storage is neither shown in "my computer" nor in "desk management". I even usded command prompt to chkdsk and disk part; nothing except one desk drive, no SD, bearing in mind the SD card I am using worked fine in phone and other laptop. 
  • billsey
    Options
    And you are likely old enough that the laptop is out of warranty. :( How about a USB device with a SD port on it? They are pretty cheap...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Suhail1966
    Options
    Yes indeed, me and my Acer notebook are old & out of warranty  ;). I have a thinkpad laptop but I like the Acer Switch 10 because I carry it with me all the time for its light weight.
    You said earlier the SD card is soldered to the motherboard, does that mean it cannot be fixed without replacing the whole motherboard (assuming my problem is a hardware failure)? 

• billsey
    Options
    Depending on the skill level of your tech they may or may not be able to successfully replace surface mount components on a motherboard... And they may or may not have access to the components to try and replace. Your system is old enough that you can likely find used motherboards on the secondary market, but that can be a little bit of a ***** shoot.