V5-552 X671 Battery Not Detected NV51B05u

Kaitlin77
Kaitlin77 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited July 2021 in Aspire Laptops
My Acer Gateway NV51B05u tells me there is no battery detected. The battery is in and locked in place. I have tried removing it and putting it back in, no dice. The laptop will only turn on if the charging cord is plugged in. 

What would cause this? I am trying to find out if it is the battery or something else before I try replacing the battery with a new one. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    With the laptop turned off, is the battery charge LED a steadily lit orange or blue, or turned off, or flashing when the charger is pljugged in? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kaitlin77
    Kaitlin77 Member Posts: 2 New User
    It is a flashing orange. 
  • JackE
    Keep the laptop turned off and with charger plugged in for about 8 hours or overnight. If the battery charge LED hasn't turned to steady orange or steady blue, then the battery should be replaced. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NizarK
    NizarK Member Posts: 9 New User
    Hi JackE
    I have the same problem as Kaitlin, except when I plug in the power, I get a steady orange for a few minutes, then off.  

This is what I posted in the other blog.  

The battery connector is where I think my problem is.  When I check the battery connector socket on the motherboard, I can only see 5 pins, but the connector has 8 pin holes.  I have a V5-552 X671, and bought a replacement battery from Amazon.  When I got the message, with the new battery, I replaced my old battery that still works (just runs down fast), but the "Battery Not Detected" didn't go away.  When I click the battery icon on the taskbar, it reads 100% Fully charged, (sometimes I saw 255%).   I have already done the following steps.
    1.  Reset pinhole pressed for 5 seconds
    2. Uninstalled the battery in device manager
    3. Changed quick start setting in power options
    4.  reset the "Powercfg" settings in command prompt. 
  • JackE

If you can start the machine plugged in, open Device Manager. Click batteries folder. Right click and uninstall all drivers in this batteries folder. Exit Device Manager without reinstalling anything. Shut down Windows normally. Remove charger. Re-do the pinhole reset for 60 seconds. Plug the charger back in. Turn the machine back in.

Jack E/NJ

• NizarK
    HI JackE
    I followed the steps above exactly as you recommended, but the same outcome.  
  • NizarK
    This is the picture of the Motherboard
  • JackE
    If the old  battery still works despite its reduced capacity then the new battery's charge controller has failed or its the wrong battery. The new battery's mainboard plug connector must be identical to the old battery's mainboard plug connector.

Jack E/NJ

• NizarK
    As I mentioned above, I have put the old battery back, and am still getting the same message, as I did with the new one.  So as of right now neither one of the batteries work.  
  • JackE
    >>> When I got the message, with the new battery, I replaced my old battery that still works (just runs down fast), but the "Battery Not Detected" didn't go away. >>>

Does the new battery work like this except it runs down slower?

Jack E/NJ

• NizarK
    Yes.  The problem is, regardless of which battery I use, the "No Battery Is Detected" message stays, and the laptop shuts off when I take the power cord out.
  • NizarK
    >>>>If the old  battery still works despite its reduced capacity then the new battery's charge controller has failed or its the wrong battery. The new battery's mainboard plug connector must be identical to the old battery's mainboard plug connector.

If that's the case, then when I connect the old battery (ACER OEM) the NBID message should go away, but now I have the above situation, regardless of which battery is in the laptop.
  • NizarK
    JackE thank you very much for your help.
  • JackE
    >>> When I got the message, with the new battery, I replaced my old battery that still works (just runs down fast)>>>

How long after you disconnect the charger does the laptop shut off (1) with the old battery? (2) With the new battery?

Jack E/NJ

• NizarK
    Shuts off Immediately with both batteries.  Something has happened during the replacement process, that it has stopped recognizing the battery.
  • JackE
    Open Device Manager again and repeat these steps with the new battery installed. Click batteries folder. Right click and uninstall ALL drivers in this batteries folder. Exit Device Manager without reinstalling anything. Then open Control Panel. Search 'button;. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Scroll down and UNCHECK the box for fast  startup. Then shut down Windows normally. Remove charger. Re-do the pinhole reset for 60 seconds. Plug the charger back in. Turn the machine back on again.

Jack E/NJ