Is the ConceptD 7 Ezel CC715-71 Upgradeable?

kidd255
kidd255 Member Posts: 1 New User
Memory and Storage

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    Yes, you can upgrade the memory up to 32GB(2x16GB) with DDR4 2666MHz SODIMM modules, if you are going to install a new memory with existing module,
    find out the specs of your current module and buy a module with same specs, as for the storage, you have 2 M.2 NVMe SSD slots, you can install up to 1TB in each slot.

• Daniel_Sweden
    Daniel_Sweden Member Posts: 8 New User
    Hi,
    Yes, you can upgrade the memory up to 32GB(2x16GB) with DDR4 2666MHz SODIMM modules, if you are going to install a new memory with existing module,
    find out the specs of your current module and buy a module with same specs, as for the storage, you have 2 M.2 NVMe SSD slots, you can install up to 1TB in each slot.

Is it hard to another SSD if I buy a variant with a single SSD? I saw a YouTube video of a conceptd 7 (NOT ezel) teardown and was a bit more complicated than I had hoped, with sticky tape all over the components. Is the C7 Ezel the same?

Anything else that would be good to know about the upgrade process? 

The price difference between 2tb and 1 tb versions of C7 Ezel is about 2-3 times more than a standard 1tb nvme SSD here, so it is tempting to buy the cheaper one and add another SSD myself.

I have previously upgraded several OLD MacBook airs and pros with memory and ssds so the process of adding components does not scare me, if the slots are easily accessible.

Thanks!
    Daniel, Sweden
  • Daniel_Sweden
    Hi,

Is it hard to another SSD if I buy a variant with a single SSD? I saw a YouTube video of a conceptd 7 (NOT ezel) teardown and was a bit more complicated than I had hoped, with sticky tape all over the components. Is the C7 Ezel the same? Anything else that would be good to know about the upgrade process?  The price difference between 2tb and 1 tb versions of C7 Ezel is about 2-3 times more than a standard 1tb nvme SSD here, so it is tempting to buy the cheaper one and add another SSD myself.

I have previously upgraded several OLD MacBook airs and pros so the process of adding new components does not scare me, if the slots are easily accessible.

Thanks!
    Daniel, Sweden
  • Daniel_Sweden
    Hi,
    Yes
    Is it hard to another SSD if I buy a variant with a single SSD? I saw a YouTube video of a conceptd 7 (NOT ezel) teardown and was a bit more complicated than I had hoped, with sticky tape all over the components. Is the C7 Ezel the same?

The price difference between 2tb and 1 tb versions of C7 Ezel is about 2-3 times more than a standard 1tb nvme SSD here, so it is tempting to buy the cheaper one and add another SSD myself.

Thanks!
    Daniel, Sweden
  • Daniel_Sweden
    Hi,
    Yes

Thanks!
    Daniel, Sweden
  • Daniel_Sweden
    Hi,
    Yes

Thanks!
    Daniel, Sweden
  • Daniel_Sweden
    Hi,
    Yes
    Is it hard to add another SSD if I buy a variant with a single SSD? I saw a YouTube video of a conceptd 7 (NOT ezel) teardown and was a bit more complicated than I had hoped, with sticky tape all over the components. Is the C7 Ezel the same?

Thanks!
    Daniel, Sweden
  • Daniel_Sweden
    Sorry for the multiple post! 

The text remained in the text box and looked like it had not been posted!
  • JulianK
    JulianK Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the CC715-72G and the only thing that bothered me about it, is that there was no option for 64gb of ram. So I tried to exchange the 32gb ot came with for 64gb I luckily happened to have anyway. To my absolutely pleasant surprise it worked flawlessly.
  • Hi,
    Yes

Thanks!
    Daniel, Sweden
    Hi,
    Sorry, I missed your post, I am not able to access the Service guides at the moment, so please wait for someone else to chime in, it's always better to start your own thread so that other members also can view your post.
  • Meckell
    Meckell Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi,

Is it hard to another SSD if I buy a variant with a single SSD? I saw a YouTube video of a conceptd 7 (NOT ezel) teardown and was a bit more complicated than I had hoped, with sticky tape all over the components. Is the C7 Ezel the same? Anything else that would be good to know about the upgrade process?  The price difference between 2tb and 1 tb versions of C7 Ezel is about 2-3 times more than a standard 1tb nvme SSD here, so it is tempting to buy the cheaper one and add another SSD myself.

I have previously upgraded several OLD MacBook airs and pros so the process of adding new components does not scare me, if the slots are easily accessible.

Thanks!
    Daniel, Sweden

Just popped mine open a few days ago to switch in 2x16GB RAM (basic Crucial 3200MHz kit, although it seems the machine is only able to reach 2933) and add a 2TB NVMe SSD (Samsung), everything seems to be fine so far.

There are no screws hidden under any of the information stickers or feet, but there are four hidden screws along the front edge, under circular rubber plugs. It'll take a bit of prying to get them out, but the adhesive on them re-adheres just fine when you put them back in. All other bottom cover screws are fully visible.
    Also, all bottom cover screws are T6 Torx and appear to be the same length.

The bottom cover has clips on the left and right sides, among the ports. They are friction pinch clips, rather than right-angle hook clips, so you don't have to insert anything to push them or worry about any snapping off, you only have to pry with enough force (a somewhat intimidating amount, to be honest) and they'll release. It gets easier after the first time. I suggest starting on the side *without* the audio port, as the audio port physically extends into the bottom cover a bit, and I don't know how much it will appreciate being pried up along with the rest of the cover.

Inside, the included main SSD screw for Slot 2 is some sort of extremely tiny philips head, and my machine did not come with another copper heat cover to go over it.

Beyond that, reassembling is simply going in reverse and the machine took to the upgrades with no fuss, just had to initialize the new SSD in disk management.
  • SteveMartinUSA
    SteveMartinUSA Member Posts: 2 New User

So what's the final result of your upgrade? How much SSD can I upgrade to? Mine came with two 1TB SSDs in RAID 0. I'd like a lot more...