Cooling upgrades for Predator Orion 3000 PO3-600

Options
overheat
overheat Member Posts: 9 New User
edited January 2021 in Predator Desktops
Model: Predator Orion 3000 PO3-600
Part number: DGE1CEQ008XXXXXX

i7 9700, RTX 2060 SUPER OC +165MHz core, +750 mem, 16GB 2666MHz

I am in a relatively cold climate with around freezing temperature air coming in through the window, but the fans (specifically the CPU fan) are still very loud even for lighter loads (35-45 watts, 20-30% usage) and despite the noise the CPU still sits at 70-75 degrees for those situations.
As such, I am looking for a CPU fan upgrade primarily but also a case fan upgrade. Currently, I am looking at 60mm CPU fans because I read that the fans in the rig are that size as I have not checked inside the case myself. I have found the Noctua NF-A6x25 PWM 12V as of right now, and it looks good. Will it be enough to cool the i7 9700? And what case fans should I look at? 

Thread was edited to add model name to the title and to hide sensitive information.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,386 Trailblazer
    edited January 2021
    Options
    overheat said:
    Part number: DGE1CEQ008XXXXXX

I am in a relatively cold climate with around freezing temperature air coming in through the window, but the fans (specifically the CPU fan) are still very loud even for lighter loads (35-45 watts, 20-30% usage) and despite the noise the CPU still sits at 70-75 degrees for those situations.
    As such, I am looking for a CPU fan upgrade primarily but also a case fan upgrade. Currently, I am looking at 60mm CPU fans because I read that the fans in the rig are that size as I have not checked inside the case myself. I have found the Noctua NF-A6x25 PWM 12V as of right now, and it looks good. Will it be enough to cool the i7 9700? And what case fans should I look at? 

Edited the content to hide sensitive information.
    Firstly, 70-75 degrees temps are ok and not in anyway a dangerous overheating problem! Ok, if your fans are loud then you can change them but and due to the size and that you have a case and a cpu/gpu fan(s), these fans will all make noise. The Noctua NF-A6x25 PWM 12V is a very quite fan yes and but, you will still have noise especially if you leave your OEM cpu/gpu fans and don't change them. I would water cool the cpu and gpu and use the quite Noctua NF-A6x25 PWM 12V as a case fan, especially that you live in a cold climate where you might get away with water cooling with minimal fans as assistance to cooling the water cooling radiators. These are all available solutions but, it all depends on your budget, as any cooling is as good as what you are prepared to do (e.g. even use hydrogen cooling lol) and/or how much you are prepared to spend on it? 
  • overheat
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    overheat said:
    Part number: DGE1CEQ008017000C01800

Firstly, 70-75 degrees temps are ok and not in anyway a dangerous overheating problem! Ok, if your fans are loud then you can change them but and due to the size and that you have a case and a cpu/gpu fan(s), these fans will all make noise. The Noctua NF-A6x25 PWM 12V is a very quite fan yes and but, you will still have noise especially if you leave your OEM cpu/gpu fans and don't change them. I would water cool the cpu and gpu and use the quite Noctua NF-A6x25 PWM 12V as a case fan, especially that you live in a cold climate where you might get away with water cooling with minimal fans as assistance to cooling the water cooling radiators. These are all available solutions but, it all depends on your budget, as any cooling is as good as what you are prepared to do (e.g. even use hydrogen cooling lol) and/or how much you are prepared to spend on it? 
    75 degrees is perfectly fine, yes, but that is during light loads of around 40 watts. Temps rapidly climb when at full usage up to 100 degrees quite quickly. Noise is fine, but the stock Intel fan has terrible performance and terrible noise, so I’m mostly looking for an upgrade here, not something that completely eradicates the problem. At most I would spend 60 bucks on this, but I’m no good at PCs so I’d prefer less complexity (like with watercooling). Even then, watercooling is quite unnecessary for a non-K CPU like the 9700. Will the Noctua work in the case though? Are there bigger fans that could fit still? And what are the dimensions on the front fan aka case fan?
  • Frenzy4
    Frenzy4 Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited January 2021
    Options
    overheat said:
    StevenGen said:
    overheat said:

75 degrees is perfectly fine, yes, but that is during light loads of around 40 watts. Temps rapidly climb when at full usage up to 100 degrees quite quickly. Noise is fine, but the stock Intel fan has terrible performance and terrible noise, so I’m mostly looking for an upgrade here, not something that completely eradicates the problem. At most I would spend 60 bucks on this, but I’m no good at PCs so I’d prefer less complexity (like with watercooling). Even then, watercooling is quite unnecessary for a non-K CPU like the 9700. Will the Noctua work in the case though? Are there bigger fans that could fit still? And what are the dimensions on the front fan aka case fan?

lmao. You can't watercool in a predator orion, there is only one fan mount for intake, and there wouldnt be room for a radiator even then. Some people on here just give advice and have no idea what PC the person has or what they are talking about, just search for this next time and youll find lots of threads have been made in the past about this.

You need to buy regular noctua PWM 92mm fans, one of the rear exhaust, and front intake. Then get a noctua DH-D9L cpu cooler, you will have a normal PC with no temp issues after this. The front fan is incredibly loud and very bad, so thats why I say replace that also.

Those are the 92mm noctua fans you should be getting, the ones you are talking about are only 60mm small and would be a bad idea when you can fit a 92mm everywhere in the case.

• StevenGen
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Frenzy4 said:
    overheat said:
    StevenGen said:
    overheat said:

lmao. You can't watercool in a predator orion, there is only one fan mount for intake, and there wouldnt be room for a radiator even then. Some people on here just give advice and have no idea what PC the person has or what they are talking about, just search for this next time and youll find lots of threads have been made in the past about this.

You need to buy regular noctua PWM 92mm fans, one of the rear exhaust, and front intake. Then get a noctua DH-D9L cpu cooler, you will have a normal PC with no temp issues after this. The front fan is incredibly loud and very bad, so thats why I say replace that also.

Those are the 92mm noctua fans you should be getting, the ones you are talking about are only 60mm small and would be a bad idea when you can fit a 92mm everywhere in the case.

Firstly, you can definitely water-cool the Predator Orion 3000 PO3-600, who told you that you can’t? Give us your so called many guides? The radiator can be mounted outside, you don't have to have the radiator inside the case, as there are no restrictions that it has to be inside. I've water-cooled many desktops where there was no room inside the case. What does this mean "there is only one fan mount for intake"? What does this comment have to do with anything with water-cooling? As "Fan Mounts" has nothing to do with water-cooling" and also, I wasn't taking about a case fan for a cpu main cooling solution, I was only talking about it as case cooling solution as a noise solution for a case fan.  

And this comment "Some people on here just give advice and have no idea what PC the person has or what they are talking about, just search for this next time and youll find lots of threads have been made in the past about this" that is WRONG (as I'm familiar with the Predator Orion 3000 PO3-600) as you can do this mod! 

Listen here, I know what I'm talking about as I've been modding computers for over 36 years and especially with water-cooling solutions since it was introduced, you don't have to have all components inside the case (if you know what you are talking about? And you don’t) and/or you have done a water-cooling mods yourself? Ease off "Frenzy4" as we are here to give people alternative advise of what can be done or any other solutions to their problems, its their problem if they do these mods or if they know how to do these mods solutions? Mine was a suggestion "ONLY" as I've done many such water-cooling mods and they do work! Which it seems that you haven't done so and don't know what you are talking about "Frenzy4"! Cheers and take care and be nice. 

• StevenGen
    edited January 2021
    Options
    overheat said:
    StevenGen said:
    overheat said:

Look overheat, you can do whatever you want and for whatever budget? Mine was ONLY a suggestion and what you can be done to your Predator Orion 3000 PO3-600 or if you want to go to an extreme solution? And or whatever budget? You can't put a bigger fan as you are restricted by the space that you have for a case fan, unless you mod the space and go to allot of troubles and mod the case fan space?  Not like "Frenzy4" thinks that he knows it all? As modding can be done to everything including case fans and their spaces but with watercooling its your choice if you want to go to that extent of cooling and do that type of extreme modding which can be done, irrespective to what "Frenzy4" says? As everting can be done as, I've done it, simple. Lets not get too involved or complicated with this as i was "ONLY: making a suggestion overheat, cheers and do whatever you want?  Simple. 
  • Frenzy4
    Frenzy4 Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited January 2021
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    overheat said:
    StevenGen said:
    overheat said:

Firstly, you can definitely water-cool the Predator Orion 3000 PO3-600, who told you that you can’t? Give us your so called many guides? The radiator can be mounted outside, you don't have to have the radiator inside the case, as there are no restrictions that it has to be inside. I've water-cooled many desktops where there was no room inside the case. What does this mean "there is only one fan mount for intake"? What does this comment have to do with anything with water-cooling? As "Fan Mounts" has nothing to do with water-cooling" and also, I wasn't taking about a case fan for a cpu main cooling solution, I was only talking about it as case cooling solution as a noise solution for a case fan.  

And this comment "Some people on here just give advice and have no idea what PC the person has or what they are talking about, just search for this next time and youll find lots of threads have been made in the past about this" that is WRONG (as I'm familiar with the Predator Orion 3000 PO3-600) as you can do this mod! 

Listen here, I know what I'm talking about as I've been modding computers for over 36 years and especially with water-cooling solutions since it was introduced, you don't have to have all components inside the case (if you know what you are talking about? And you don’t) and/or you have done a water-cooling mods yourself? Ease off "Frenzy4" as we are here to give people alternative advise of what can be done or any other solutions to their problems, its their problem if they do these mods or if they know how to do these mods solutions? Mine was a suggestion "ONLY" as I've done many such water-cooling mods and they do work! Which it seems that you haven't done so and don't know what you are talking about "Frenzy4"! Cheers and take care and be nice. 

😂

You are suggesting someone who bought a prebuilt computer install a watercooling system all casually, outside of the pc case at that. This will be the most ridiculous thing I ever hear on here, congratulations. Having the radiator mounted outside of the case sounds extremely unpractical, how would you even get the lines inside? Using a dremmel and cutting up the case?!  Your advice is something I cannot fathom, I will be honest with you, no offense. I wonder what the thread maker was thinking when he read your advice, because he definitely will not be doing that, nor anyone for that matter.

"who told you that you can’t?" -Who told anyone you CAN? This is not a thing that has been done, not by you, or anyone and I doubt it ever will. We are talking about a predator orion PO3-600 case here, not the PC's that you have worked on back in your day.

This is like someone asking advice on how to make their toyota prius a little faster, and you answering with "swap an LS engine in it!", absolutely ridiculous advice. Yes you can with lots of modifications, but why on earth would you even bother.

• overheat
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers. In the end, I think I will go with Frenzy’s route as it isn’t as complicated as watercooling, and frankly the coolers he mentioned should be absolutely fantastic for my purposes. I am a little concerned about the clearance for the CPU fan because I read that the original is 60mm, so if you could post a picture of your rig that would be great. 

Also, I read that Noctua PWM case fans (or at least the rear fan) won’t be automatically controlled, but can you solve that with software like Argus Monitor? Or should I get a be quiet! rear fan? 

Lastly, any help for the installation? I am a completely clueless little kid so I would like to get some help here, certainly don’t want to mess the PC up that I saved a long time for only to not get covered by warranty :p
  • StevenGen
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Frenzy4 said:
    StevenGen said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    overheat said:
    StevenGen said:
    overheat said:

😂

You are suggesting someone who bought a prebuilt computer install a watercooling system all casually, outside of the pc case at that. This will be the most ridiculous thing I ever hear on here, congratulations. Having the radiator mounted outside of the case sounds extremely unpractical, how would you even get the lines inside? Using a dremmel and cutting up the case?!  Your advice is something I cannot fathom, I will be honest with you, no offense. I wonder what the thread maker was thinking when he read your advice, because he definitely will not be doing that, nor anyone for that matter.

"who told you that you can’t?" -Who told anyone you CAN? This is not a thing that has been done, not by you, or anyone and I doubt it ever will. We are talking about a predator orion PO3-600 case here, not the PC's that you have worked on back in your day.

This is like someone asking advice on how to make their toyota prius a little faster, and you answering with "swap an LS engine in it!", absolutely ridiculous advice. Yes you can with lots of modifications, but why on earth would you even bother.

Listen here “Frenzy4” don’t get excited, I was making a suggestion "ONLY" of other alternatives of what can be done in some modding, where people do go to this length, if they are worried about overheating, which  "overheat" is worried about!

Get this through your thick head “you can water-cool externally and internally” as its all been done before and all the time! You are kidding yourself if you don't think so, as you probably never ever done it. There are many alternatives to limited internal case watercooling, that are simple and very easy (with limited tools) to water-cooling.

Also this (which btw, is a ridiculous comment/comparison) >>>“This is like someone asking advice on how to make their toyota prius a little faster, and you answering with "swap an LS engine in it!"<<<watercooling doesn’t work like that and that comparison is just as ridiculous as your argument! Have a great day, cheers and stay safe! The below examples are just a few. 

This is just one example of external water-cooling, btw, you could do this with a much simpler setup also like below. 

External water-cooling kit

Compressed water cooling kit, that can fit internally and can be modified (by a knowledgeable hardy person) for the hoses to be extended and the radiator to fit outside the case.

• unixfreak0037
    unixfreak0037 Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options
    Hey there.

I just tried the advice offered by Frenzy. My build is similar but it's the 10700. The noctua DH-D9L does not fit. In the instructions it gives you, it requires you to install a bracket over the back of the existing backing plate. The bracket has 4 legs that stretch out and go through the holes in the motherboard. However, the backing plate that ASUS used already has legs that use those holes. There was no way I could find to make it work.

Does anyone know an air cooler that fits the existing backing plate? I am also having issues with the temperatures. Out of the box it reached 99. I installed the new case fans suggested (which are much quieter) and re-pasted. My latest test shows lower average but still peaked at 92 under heavy cpu load.

• overheat
    Options
    Hey there.

I just tried the advice offered by Frenzy. My build is similar but it's the 10700. The noctua DH-D9L does not fit. In the instructions it gives you, it requires you to install a bracket over the back of the existing backing plate. The bracket has 4 legs that stretch out and go through the holes in the motherboard. However, the backing plate that ASUS used already has legs that use those holes. There was no way I could find to make it work.

Does anyone know an air cooler that fits the existing backing plate? I am also having issues with the temperatures. Out of the box it reached 99. I installed the new case fans suggested (which are much quieter) and re-pasted. My latest test shows lower average but still peaked at 92 under heavy cpu load.

Wouldn't you be able to remove the legs? And are you sure its a PO3-600? And the motherboard has to be at least a little different, since 9th gen CPUs and 10th gen CPUs have different sockets. Also, are there ASUS parts in there? This is an Acer PC. Even the motherboard is made by Acer and the fans I believe are custom (not 100% on that) besides the stock Intel CPU fan. 

I'm saying this because there are several people who said they have installed the D9L, on the 620 as well but Billsey said the fans are basically the same dimensions. 

Thanks for your answer though, good luck with your rig!
  • unixfreak0037
    unixfreak0037 Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options
    Good point. Mine is a P03-620-UR14. I was unable to remove the legs because it's part of the backplate. The DH-D9L would have worked if the existing backplate didn't already use the holes. Not sure what I can do here.
  • Termy2
    Termy2 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    StevenGen said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    StevenGen said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    overheat said:
    StevenGen said:
    overheat said:

😂

Listen here “Frenzy4” don’t get excited, I was making a suggestion "ONLY" of other alternatives of what can be done in some modding, where people do go to this length, if they are worried about overheating, which  "overheat" is worried about!

Get this through your thick head “you can water-cool externally and internally” as its all been done before and all the time! You are kidding yourself if you don't think so, as you probably never ever done it. There are many alternatives to limited internal case watercooling, that are simple and very easy (with limited tools) to water-cooling.

Also this (which btw, is a ridiculous comment/comparison) >>>“This is like someone asking advice on how to make their toyota prius a little faster, and you answering with "swap an LS engine in it!"<<<watercooling doesn’t work like that and that comparison is just as ridiculous as your argument! Have a great day, cheers and stay safe! The below examples are just a few. 

This is just one example of external water-cooling, btw, you could do this with a much simpler setup also like below. 

Compressed water cooling kit, that can fit internally and can be modified (by a knowledgeable hardy person) for the hoses to be extended and the radiator to fit outside the case.

You should get a predator Orion and do water cooling in it lmao. I have one and going to have to agree with frenzy on this one. Water cooling for this case would be pretty hard and very impractical. I don’t see how it would work and those examples are fine to talk about, but with this case unless you’ve actually done it, it’s just talk. I don’t see it working without cutting the case up and doing stuff someone who bought a prebuilt would be doing, the biggest reason being warranty would be voided definitely doing this (cause of the modifications needed to make it work)
  • Termy2
    Termy2 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    StevenGen said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    StevenGen said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    overheat said:
    StevenGen said:
    overheat said:

😂

You should get a predator Orion and do water cooling in it lmao. I have one and going to have to agree with frenzy on this one. Water cooling for this case would be pretty hard and very impractical. I don’t see how it would work and those examples are fine to talk about, but with this case unless you’ve actually done it, it’s just talk. I don’t see it working without cutting the case up and doing stuff someone who bought a prebuilt would be doing