Upgrades for fan and graphics card: Acer Aspire TC-705

Options
Fejj
Fejj Member Posts: 1 New User
I have an Acer Aspire TC-705 and I wanted to replace the main fan in it along with performing an upgrade to the graphics card. My current specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 @3.60GHz
RAM: 12GB DDR3
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 - 4GB
Fan: Cooler Master 
I added some photos below for clarification on model numbers for the fan and GPU.
I am simply looking for a replacement fan and I am unsure of what to look for. As for the graphics card I want to upgrade it to something that is a bit newer. Ideally it would be something that has 8GB of memory and that meets a rating of 14000 or more on this G3D Mark Benchmark test https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html 
My ideal budget for the graphics card would be under 500 dollars if possible and my goal is to use it for some architectural renderings.
I'm not sure what my computer can handle with its current specs which is why I am looking for help from someone who understands the limitations better than I do. I've added another photo of my computer to show the space I'm working with for my graphics card. The current one is about 145mm long. Upon measuring, it looks like I only have about 45 to 50mm of extra space before the plug shows up, but I'm not sure if there is a workaround to avoid the obstruction.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,364 Trailblazer
    Options
    IIRC yours was one of the last systems to support Windows 7 and typically came with either W8.1 or W10, with a downgrade to W7 as an option. That means you have a UEFI boot environment so any of the modern cards should work. Depending on initial build it could have anything from 200W to 300W for a PSU, so you will likely need to upgrade that to use most of the newer cards. You might think about replacing the HDD with a SSD before doing a GPU upgrade though, it'll give you the biggest 'bang for your buck' of any of the upgrades.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.