How to update acer aspire s 13 S5-371 bios from Ubuntu?

jane007
jane007 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited January 2021 in Acer Software
Hello, 
I have Acer Aspire S 13 S5-371 bios version 1.02 and I see that the latest version now is v1.15 (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6730?b=1).
I don't want to mess around and update but there is a problem with fan noise. I read some articles and they suggested updating the BIOS. However, I have Ubuntu 20.04. I wonder if it's okay to update the BIOS using freeDOS. Does anyone have experiences or any suggestion to do so? And in case when I switch to freeDOS and couldn't successfully update, I want to ask if there will be problem? 
Thank you in advance!

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,881 Trailblazer
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    jane007 said:
    Hello, 
    I have Acer Aspire S 13 S5-371 bios version 1.02 and I see that the latest version now is v1.15 (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6730?b=1).
    I don't want to mess around and update but there is a problem with fan noise. I read some articles and they suggested updating the BIOS. However, I have Ubuntu 20.04. I wonder if it's okay to update the BIOS using freeDOS. Does anyone have experiences or any suggestion to do so? And in case when I switch to freeDOS and couldn't successfully update, I want to ask if there will be problem? 
    Thank you in advance!
    Fan noise has nothing to do with the bios, fans either work or they don't and/or are faulty as they are obstructed by dirt and felt or their shaft balance is damaged or they are overworked because of all these factors as the laptop overheats hence, they are at full revs and/or the blades touch their casing. My advice to you is this, try to keep your laptop cooler e.g. a laptop tablet cooler and replace the cpu/gpu fan(s) and repaste them, this is especially for an older type laptop like the Aspire S5-371 that components get old and are at the end of their lifespan.

Note: updating the bios should only be done for a specific thing(s) that an update does and fixes as "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution' as Acer warns all users to do. This is especially with a different operating system that the actual bios update like the Aspire S5-371's last bios update file B3ZMS115.exe was specifically designed or Windows. I would run a Win-10 from a USB and do it that way, its the simplest way as the article below is only specifically moded for the Acer Aspire A315-55/Aspire A315-55G and the Aspire A515-53/Aspire A515-53G. 

Anyway, r
    ead this "Ubuntu – How to update the computer bios firmware without using Windows" that outlines all that needs to be done for the Acer models above. 

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,881 Trailblazer
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    jane007 said:
    Hello, 
    Thank you in advance!
    Fan noise has nothing to do with the bios, fans either work or they don't and/or are faulty as they are obstructed by dirt and felt or their shaft balance is damaged or they are overworked because of all these factors as the laptop overheats hence, they are at full revs and/or the blades touch their casing. My advice to you is this, try to keep your laptop cooler e.g. a laptop tablet cooler and replace the cpu/gpu fan(s) and repaste them, this is especially for an older type laptop like the Aspire S5-371 that components get old and are at the end of their lifespan.

Note: updating the bios should only be done for a specific thing(s) that an update does and fixes as "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution' as Acer warns all users to do. This is especially with a different operating system that the actual bios update like the Aspire S5-371's last bios update file B3ZMS115.exe was specifically designed or Windows. I would run a Win-10 from a USB and do it that way, its the simplest way as the article below is only specifically moded for the Acer Aspire A315-55/Aspire A315-55G and the Aspire A515-53/Aspire A515-53G. 

Anyway, r
    ead this "Ubuntu – How to update the computer bios firmware without using Windows" that outlines all that needs to be done for the Acer models above.