Version	10.0.19042 Build 19042	
Other OS Description 	Not Available	
OS Manufacturer	Microsoft Corporation	
System Name	DREAMER-PC	
System Manufacturer	Acer	
System Model	Aspire E5-575G	
System Type	x64-based PC	
System SKU	Aspire E5-575G_1094_1.47	
Processor	Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)	
BIOS Version/Date	Insyde Corp. V1.47, 06-Sep-18	
SMBIOS Version	3.0	
Embedded Controller Version	2.50	
BIOS Mode	UEFI	
BaseBoard Manufacturer	Acer	
BaseBoard Product	Ironman_SK	
BaseBoard Version	V1.47	
Platform Role	Mobile	
Secure Boot State	On	
PCR7 Configuration	Elevation Required to View	
Windows Directory	C:\Windows	
System Directory	C:\Windows\system32	
Boot Device	\Device\HarddiskVolume6	
Locale	Iran	
Hardware Abstraction Layer	Version = "10.0.19041.488"	
User Name	DREAMER-PC\Dreamer	
Time Zone	Iran Standard Time	
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)	8.00 GB	
Total Physical Memory	7.87 GB	
Available Physical Memory	3.95 GB	
Total Virtual Memory	10.4 GB	
Available Virtual Memory	5.88 GB	
Page File Space	2.50 GB	
Page File	C:\pagefile.sys	
Kernel DMA Protection	Off	
Virtualization-based security	Running	
Virtualization-based security Required Security Properties		
Virtualization-based security Available Security Properties	Base Virtualization Support, Secure Boot, DMA Protection	
Virtualization-based security Services Configured		
Virtualization-based security Services Running		
Device Encryption Support	Elevation Required to View	
A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed.	

My problem is that one of my USB 3.0 ports on the left side of my laptop is not working normally. I can use USB FDDs (even when they're connected to a USB Hub) and USB HDDs (mass storage devices in general) without a problem, but it doesn't recognize any other devices (like my USB modem, mouse and keyboard dongle, phone, ...). It only acts as a charger for these devices. I'm a Windows 10 user, but I also run Arch Linux and the problem is the same on both OSes. My BIOS version is the latest (1.47) and I can't reinstall or downgrade it because it's already the latest version. 

I looked around the internet and the only relevant data I found is this comment with no solution: 
https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/693532#Comment_693532

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    >>> I can use USB FDDs (even when they're connected to a USB Hub) and USB HDDs (mass storage devices in general) without a problem>>>

These are all primarily data-only USB ports. So they seem to be working as they should if the USB drives work without problems. What brand and models are your USB modem, mouse and keyboard?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Dreamer92
    Dreamer92 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>> I can use USB FDDs (even when they're connected to a USB Hub) and USB HDDs (mass storage devices in general) without a problem>>>

These are all primarily data-only USB ports. So they seem to be working as they should if the USB drives work without problems. What brand and models are your USB modem, mouse and keyboard?  Jack E/NJ
    My USB port was a normal functioning USB port, I used my devices on both my USB 3.0 ports interchangeably! This problem happened after about 2 years of my purchase date, so NO, It's not working as it should. My mouse is a Logitech G305, my keyboard is a Logitech G915 and my modem is a Tenda 4G180. Also my Apple Watch USB charging cable and my iPhone USB cable don't work at all on this port. Although my Samsung Galaxy cellphone charges on this port but there are no USB options (like MTP, USB tethering,...) on the device.

I have tried removing the battery, reinstalling the Windows, updating the BIOS (I suspected that BIOS update might have caused this problem, but it's not possible to downgrade it.) and many other workarounds but nothing seems to be working! 
    Here is a picture of my USB3.0 ports: 

Regards
    Mohammad S.
  • JackE
    >>>I suspected that BIOS update might have caused this problem>>>

What problem were you trying to fix with a BIOS update? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Dreamer92
    Dreamer92 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>I suspected that BIOS update might have caused this problem>>>

What problem were you trying to fix with a BIOS update? Jack E/NJ
    I'm not actually sure, but I guess no problem. It's been a long time since I updated the BIOS. So I'm not sure.. that's just a lucky guess!
  • JackE
    Well, you can try to revert to an earlier BIOS version if you really want to. The BIOS reversion  process bit more involved and riskier than an update but it can be done. If it was mine, I probably wouldn't risk it since the issue seems to be more of an annoyance than truly intolerable problem. I'd probably wait to see if a future Windows or driver update returns the port to a previous state.  I'd probably also uninstall the USB3 controller and hub in Device Manager, then cold boot with fast startup disabled, to see if the issue is resolved.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ