Any tips to fix my Aspire 5 (a515-51) laptop battery issues?

EmilyHamilton
EmilyHamilton Member Posts: 1 New User
So, I will start by saying I am no good with technology, and am really not sure why I convinced myself I was (it lasted 2 seconds, don't worry) 
I did not use or charge my laptop for awhile, and when I went to use it again, the orange charge light would go on when I plugged it in, but if I tried to actually turn the computer on the blue light would just turn on for like 10 seconds and then turn off again. 
So, after googling, I tried to reset the battery using the pinhole thing on the back. At first I thought it worked because when I plugged the cord back in, the orange light turned on and this time when I tried to turn it on the blue light turned on for a few seconds longer than before....and then they both shut off and now my laptop is not even charging:) 
What did I do wrong....and is there anything you'd suggest trying (within reason.. clearly) 🙄😂
Thank you!!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    >>>I did not use or charge my laptop for awhile>>>

Sounds like a long while and the battery went below its critical 5% anything-can-happen charge level.

Try this. Make double-sure it's turned off by pressing & holding the power button for about 10 seconds. Then remove the charger. Then reset the laptop (not the battery) again by pressing and holding the paperclip into the reset pinhole for about 60 seconds while at the same pressing and holding the power button. Then plug the charger back in BUT don't try to turn it on.  Let the laptop charge for at least 4 hours, preferrably overnight. The battery charge LED should be steady blue by that time if the battery is salvageable. Only then try to turn it on again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ