Aspire 5 - A515-54G - Power Jack fault - Sharp practice and awful service (Case: 2242915N)

McEvoy
McEvoy Member Posts: 1 New User
Guys, I purchased an Acer Aspire 5 directly from the Acer Ireland site last July (A515-54G) and within 4 months of use the device would not charging. I originally thought the issue may be a faulty power adaptor so I ordered a new one on the Acer website. After sending me an incorrect adaptor (twice!!) and multiple calls to the service team over the course of a month, I was eventually sent the correct one. Unfortunately this did not resolve the matter so I figured I would send my laptop for repair under the warranty in December. Within a few days I was told that the repair could not be carried out under the warranty as the power jack was damaged. I was surprised as I had only used the laptop a number of months without issue, plugging and unplugging the device as normal.

The only remedy offered to me was to replace the ENTIRE motherboard on the laptop - with a repair cost quoted to me of £939 - greater than what the laptop originally cost a few months previous. I have questioned the fairness of this during a number of phone calls with various Acer support staff over the past 5 weeks, and each time have been assured that someone would contact me to work to resolve this but there has been no follow up from anyone.

Under Irish consumer law I understand that I have strong rights and I understand that if a fault presents on a product within 6 months of sale, it is assumed that that fault has existed at the time the product was purchased and that in such instances the manufacturer must either repair, replace, or provide a refund on said product. The past couple of months have been so frustrating and I cannot believe how badly treated I've been treated by Acer.

To add insult to injury, I was told this morning that to return the product unrepaired to me will cost me £50 and if I do not accept either Acer will destroy my device (not sure how Acer think they are legally entitled to destroy my property).   I am waiting for someone to call me later on with an update but I don't hold much hope at this point. Can somebody at Acer with a bit of clout and some common sense please reach out to me to sort this out?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Sorry, you have posted to an ACER users forum.  We're not ACER customer or warranty service employees or contractors but users trying to help other users with mostly technical issues.  If it was mine, I'd probably keep phoning 01 437 8367  till I finally got a service employee or contractor who seemed to have some common sense and then try to sweet-talk him or her into arranging to fix the mainboard jack under warranty . Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ