My F5-573-59WP halts during an update.

Ttonic
Ttonic Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Hi. I cannot update my notebook (Win10), it halts somewhere on 71-75% and returns to a unupdated state after 2 reboots. It happens on every OS build update. My OS version is 1803, build is 17134.1304. According to log it failed to update to 1903, 1909 and now to 20H2. I had these errors: 0x80240034, 0xc19001e1, 0x800704c7 and now 0xc1900101. I tried to uninstall antivirus, to remove everything from autorun, to delete all update folders and to load updates again, to unplug mouse (only device I have) - it is essential. Nothing worked. On the other hand, notebook works great, doesn't hang, doesn't freeze. I have 32 Gb of free space on drive C, Microsoft says it is enough. Iron's part number is NXGFFEL005. Thank you in forward.

Best Answer

• Ttonic

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    The problem was caused by CryptoPRO CSP software. Microsoft added some additional information on this specific error, and now my system is updated. Why didn't I uninstall CryptoPRO before? It was crucial to my work and I was afraid that I could have lost some or all cryptography-related information during uninstall-reinstall.

NOW SOLVED.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,445 Trailblazer
    >>>I have 32 Gb of free space on drive C, Microsoft says it is enough>>>

Sorry no. I disagree. It's not enough room to hold both the permanent update files but also all the additional temporary files that must be stored and recovered on rebooting in order to complete the installation update. You either need a bigger drive or start removing personal stuff on the existing drive so it has at least 64GB freespace. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Ttonic

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>I have 32 Gb of free space on drive C, Microsoft says it is enough>>>
    [skip]
    so it has at least 64GB freespace. Jack E/NJ  
    This laptop model has 118 Gb SSD. It sounds ridiculous if one has to keep more than half of system drive free of data in order to install OS update. If my problem is really in lack of space then the laptop (with such small system drive) was out-of-date back in 2017. I'll try to free 64Gb.
  • JackE
    Yes, among other issues, such is the hoggish bloated nature of the rapid fire major Win10 updates. Averaging two new releases every year since 2014, each one almost like an entirely new version of Windows. Under the old Windows numbering convention, we're probably up to Windows 28 by now. Folks with the even smaller 32GB & 64GB emmc SSDs that can't be upgraded can sometimes use a 16GB or 32GB NTFS formatted sdcard to provide the temporary extra storage space WinUpdate needs to complete the update installation. You might want to try this.

But to be frank, a 120GB SSD is woefully inadequate for the last two major Win10 update releases.  You can probably hold off update problems like this for the next year or so by replacing the SSD with a 256GB SSD which are less than $30USD nowadays. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ttonic

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    [skip]You might want to try this.
    Unfortunately, lack of free space is not a reason. After having 64,6Gb of free space on system drive, I got both 0x8024000b and 0xc1900101 errors. Update to 1909 didn't finish. Basically, I spent a day freeing space (it was tough), but it didn't help. Very frustrating.
  • JackE
    Do you have any non-Microsoft virus scanners running in the background? Norton, McAfee, MalwareBytes, AVG, etc??? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ttonic

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Do you have any non-Microsoft virus scanners running in the background? Norton, McAfee, MalwareBytes, AVG, etc??? Jack E/NJ
    Yes, I do. AVAST. It was my first step: I tried either to stop scanning or to uninstall it at all. Didn't help. So I put it back.

• JackE
    Uninstall it again. Not just disable. Then check the C : \ drive for errors and defragment it through file-explorer. Then press WIN+R. Enter 'diskmgmt.msc'. Confirm C : \ partition  still has about 60+GB free. Try it again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ttonic

Tinkerer

JackE said:
     defragment it through file-explorer.
    Can't defrag SSD. I checked disk - it didn't have errors. SCANNOW /SFC didn't give any errors. Uninstalling AVAST didn't make it work better. Still can't update.
  • JackE
    Follow these directions near the bottom of this link How to Force an Upgrade to the October 2020 Update. This has high potential for irreversibly losing personal files. So you better make a back up. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ttonic

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Follow these directions near the bottom of this link How to Force an Upgrade to the October 2020 Update. This has high potential for irreversibly losing personal files. So you better make a back up. Jack E/NJ

Unfortunately, it didn't make any better. This Update Assistant downloaded its own data, rebooted my system and halted as usual. One uncommon thing - it wiped out my update log, so I don't see all my errors' numbers. Any more ideas? I'm so tired of it... It's like... I can't update my Win10 FOR YEARS.
  • JackE
    Yes. You have two choices. Both require a backup before you start if you don't want to lose your personal files and programs that you've installed since acquiring the machine.

The first is a full erase-everything ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset. The WinUpdate process will then automatically attempt to update the fresh ACER factory-install  to the 20H2 point.

The second is a full installation of the Microsoft generic 20H2 version from a USB stick made by using Microsoft's media creation tool.  The main disadvantages is that certain ACER drivers and apps might have to be installed since it is no longer an ACER-flavored 20H2 version.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Ttonic said:
    JackE said:

Unfortunately, it didn't make any better. This Update Assistant downloaded its own data, rebooted my system and halted as usual. One uncommon thing - it wiped out my update log, so I don't see all my errors' numbers. Any more ideas? I'm so tired of it... It's like... I can't update my Win10 FOR YEARS.
    Hi,
    You could also try resetting Windows Update, download the .bat file, Unblock the file, right click and run as Admin, follow the instructions in the link.
    Reset Windows Update in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)
    Unblock File in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)
  • Ttonic

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Yes. You have two choices. Both require a backup before you start if you don't want to lose your personal files and programs that you've installed since acquiring the machine.

Obviously I can't afford to reinstall all my software. These 2 options are very close relatives of Windows Reinstall, so I don't take them into account. 
  • JackE
    Then what about trying  brummyfan2  's suggestions? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ttonic

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Then what about trying  brummyfan2  's suggestions? Jack E/NJ
    Sure, I tried this way. I created the mentioned bat-file, let it work, it output several errors but finished successfully. System again downloaded an update, launched it and halted. The only change - log is back to work. I can see my 0xc1900101 error.

Can somebody say, why it halts on 75%? Specifically on this number. It is not important which update I'm trying to install (20H2 or previous), it gets to 71%, then jumps to 75%, reboots and halts.

• Ttonic

Tinkerer

Thank you for advise, but I already tried it, even more, I have got a collection of downloads (different versions of Update Assistants for 1903, 1909 and 20H2). Nothing helps.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Ttonic said:
    Thank you for advise, but I already tried it, even more, I have got a collection of downloads (different versions of Update Assistants for 1903, 1909 and 20H2). Nothing helps.
    Hi,
    I would suggest you backup all important data, carryout a In-place upgrade which  will repair the installation, make sure that you select "Keep personal files and Apps" in the next step after step 12.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade | Tutorials (tenforums.com)
  • Ttonic

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    The problem was caused by CryptoPRO CSP software. Microsoft added some additional information on this specific error, and now my system is updated. Why didn't I uninstall CryptoPRO before? It was crucial to my work and I was afraid that I could have lost some or all cryptography-related information during uninstall-reinstall.

NOW SOLVED.
  • JackE
    Thanks for reporting back. But why was it installed in the first place? This kind of software is notorious for messing up consumer-orented systems and setups. Sorry, I feel it should've been centrally administered and problem handled by IT professionals responsible for insuring organizational network security & updates not individual users.

Jack E/NJ