Optimizing Airflow and Temperature Predator PO3 - 620

Options
Black_Armory
Black_Armory Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 2021 in Predator Desktops
Hey Lads,

second post on the forums. And once again one related with temperature. So my CPU is fine and my GPU is getting around 79/83 (Celsius) when playing Destiny 2 on Max graphics and I have been told multiple times that that is fine. Now I’m perfectly okay with that, but yet I would like some advice to optimize the airflow. All advice is welcome! I’m already looking to replace the stock cpu cooler, but any tips/advice is welcome. 
(Atm using the normal side plate. Not the glass one.)

Cheers,
BA

Files; 
Position PC 

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,839 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    So airflow through the case is typically handled by case fans, the CPU and GPU fans only redirect that to the respective heat sources. Some flow goes through the PSU, but again it's mostly to cool the PSU itself. In typical systems stirring the air with the CPU, GPU and PSU fans is enough to keep things circulating well enough for the system to work well, in gaming and other high performance systems you really would like a more positive flush of the air within the case. You can do that with either a fan in the front or a fan in the rear, or a fan at each. Any of those combos do the job of replacing the warm air in the case with the cooler air outside in the room. The fans are rated in CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) and that number along with the case dimensions give you an idea of how often the air within the case will be changed in a period of time. In a stable environment that length of time allows you to choose the internal air temperature. The larger the difference between the case internal temperature and the CPU/GPU temperature, they more efficient the cooling.
    So, most efficient will be front and rear case fans, both moving the air in the same direction (ie., either front to back or back to front, but not both pointing in or both pointing out). Fan size and noise level chosen by you, they both plug into the same connector on the motherboard and they both run at the same speed, based on the BIOS setting a CPU temperature best for current usage.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,839 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    So airflow through the case is typically handled by case fans, the CPU and GPU fans only redirect that to the respective heat sources. Some flow goes through the PSU, but again it's mostly to cool the PSU itself. In typical systems stirring the air with the CPU, GPU and PSU fans is enough to keep things circulating well enough for the system to work well, in gaming and other high performance systems you really would like a more positive flush of the air within the case. You can do that with either a fan in the front or a fan in the rear, or a fan at each. Any of those combos do the job of replacing the warm air in the case with the cooler air outside in the room. The fans are rated in CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) and that number along with the case dimensions give you an idea of how often the air within the case will be changed in a period of time. In a stable environment that length of time allows you to choose the internal air temperature. The larger the difference between the case internal temperature and the CPU/GPU temperature, they more efficient the cooling.
    So, most efficient will be front and rear case fans, both moving the air in the same direction (ie., either front to back or back to front, but not both pointing in or both pointing out). Fan size and noise level chosen by you, they both plug into the same connector on the motherboard and they both run at the same speed, based on the BIOS setting a CPU temperature best for current usage.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.