Swift 3 SF314-58G not connecting to external display via USB-C port

Hi there,

I bought an Acer Swift 3 SF314-58G this week and set up my workplace today. I use an external Dell monitor with a DisplayPort (DP) cable and a DP to USB-C connector. I have used this without any problems over the past year with my previous laptop (HP Envy series).
When I connected the USB-C connector to my Acer laptop it did not connect to my external display (no signal) and showed me an error message:
"The last USB-device that was connected to this computer caused an error. Windows does not recognise the device. Recommendation: Try reconnecting the device, when it still doesn't work, it is probably faulty." (translated from Dutch - see screenshot).

According to the specifications the USB-C port in my new laptop should be 3.1 and Gen 2, so should be able to support display (DP) signals, but apparently this isn't working. I have restarted and disconnected both my laptop and the display, but also no success.

I eventually did get my external display to work with a DVI-cable and a DVI to HDMI connector. That, together with the fact that I've been using the display for over a year with DP + USB-C tells me that there is nothing wrong with the display.

I'd love to use the DP + USB-C cable, since the DVI alternative I have is of low quality. I obviously prefer not having to buy any new cables.

Can someone help me out / point me in the right direction or has any clue what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Leon

Best Answer

FAQ & Answers