Nitro 5 - Fresh OEM - Clean Installed Win 10

MiguelPalma
MiguelPalma Member Posts: 5 New User
Hi everyone, I recently installed a fresh Win10 on my 1Tb HDD. 

My original idea was to have a M.2.Sata as Win10 Partition and have the HDD as a Storage Drive.

Once installing I had to deleted the System and Temp plus the C: Partition. After doing that it constantly gets stuck on the boot the turning white balls freeze under the Acer logo.
I have to press F2 to go into Bios and (after doing nothin in Bios) it Boots up well and windows starts as normal. Once it is inactive and goes to sleep it does not wake up though and I have to force reboot it.

I Have tried to: 
1. restore the partition order through the Windows Recovery/Repair management ( and through a fresh install)
2. Use the troubleshooter and with the X: tried FIXBOOT and other fix commands to solve the MBR problem.
3. I have tried to change the UEFI order disabeling the SafeBoot
None worked... its the same stuck if I don't go through F2 Bios save and Enter (then it starts up normally)

I'm runnig out of ideas - the PC sometimes does an AutoRepair cycle but to no avail, it gets stuck booting under the Acer logo once rebooted. 

Help please

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    >>>My original idea was to have a M.2.Sata as Win10 Partition and have the HDD as a Storage Drive.>>>>

Does the m.2 boot OK with the HDD disconnected? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MiguelPalma
    I thought it didn't .... but now I know it was not related to the M.2 - i serioulsly suspect I messed up my bios.
    I even tried a full HD erasing with a Linux Manjaro partition - it worked and then I installed a new and fresh windows 10 update. 
    To no avail...
    I see the same phenomena, it does not boot on the first try unless I press F2, go into bios (do nothing) save and exit and then Voilá it boots fine. 
    Can't let it sleep though or it never wakes up and have to hard reboot.
  • JackE
    >>>I thought it didn't ..>>>

Are you sure? The reason I ask is that some BIOS apparently have difficulty booting reliably from HDD1 if HDD0  is still installed. Also if you tried to apply any fixMBR switches to a GPT partitioned boot drive, it could've messed up the EFI partition. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MiguelPalma
    Thanks for your help Jack!! 

To be safe I took out the M.2 the same day and left the original HDD in the cradle and tried to roll back.

Now, because the problem persisted I did try to apply a MBR fix and yes I do think it messed up the EFI.

Any ideas on how to rebuild or redo EFI settings?
  • JackE
    Did you or did you not try to migrate/clone the HDD onto the m.2? I thought your issue was trying to boot reliably from the m.2. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MiguelPalma
    tried to and it worked... still, when it kept failing in the boot (yesterday) I went back to the original HDD.
    Still both on the M2 and on the Original HDD the phenomena is the same - I have to go through the F2 Bios to have it boot correctly. Yesterday I thought it was something to do exclusively with the M2 - thats when I did the question in the forum

• JackE
    OK. What I'd really like to know is whether or not the m.2 boots by itself without the HDD connected and without having to F2 BIOS? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MiguelPalma
    thanks ... a very valid question.. answer is NO.. it did not boot by itself (had to do the F2 step)