Black Screen issue Acer Aspire V5

davrob
davrob Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 2021 in Aspire Laptops

Hi,

I have a 2015 Acer Aspire V5 laptop running Windows 8.1. This was one of the few Acer’s that couldn’t be upgraded to Windows 10.

As the laptop was getting a bit ‘long in the tooth’, I decided to install Ubuntu 18.04.5 to disk, after testing that it worked on the laptop from USB first. I ran minitool partition wizard to shrink the CD drive. As one of the last steps, before installing to disk, I checked that secure boot was not enabled. I then rebooted holding F10 , and all I got was a black screen. Now, whenever I try and reboot the laptop all I get is a black screen. There is power to the laptop, and activity. Is it possible that I have corrupted the BIOS ? Is there any way that I can get back into the laptop to undo what I may have , inadvertently, enabled ?

Many thanks in advance

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    edited January 2021
    >>>I then rebooted holding F10 >>>

BIOS must be in UEFI mode. Insert the Linux Installation stick. Turn the machine on and immediately start tapping the F12 key, not F10. A menu should appear and allow you to boot and install ubuntu alongside Windows from the installation stick. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• davrob
    davrob Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi Jack,
    Thanks for the reply but, as per the post, whatever key I press now, I dont get the Acver BIOS screen, just a BLACK screen. Any other ideas most welcome

Davrob
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Press and hold power button till machine shuts off. Then turn the machine back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key with the black screen. The ACER logo screen isn't necessary to enter the BIOS menu. If still nothing, try to HDMI out to a TV screen. You may have to press the FN+F5 or FN+F6 combos to toggle the screen on. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ