Swift SF113-31 N17P2 powers off when charging cable is removed with battery level showing 98%

lambcf
lambcf Member Posts: 3 New User
Hello,
I have been experiencing a problem for sometime where my laptop would power off without warning after a short time when running on battery power.
Now it's got to the point where as soon as the charging cable is removed the laptop dies immediately, although the battery level indicates 98%.
The laptop will only run when connected with the power cable. The battery indicator light does not illuminate.
I would be grateful for any suggestions as to what the cause of this problem may be, and how to resolve it
Thank You.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    There are several things that can cause the battery to get confused, which can lead to symptoms like this. First step is to do a battery reset: Shut everything down and remove the power, then take a bent paperclip and press and hold the battery reset button (behind a pinhole on the bottom of your laptop) for 15-30 seconds. Release the button and wait 15-30 minutes to make sure all power has been bled off. Plug your charger back in and wait for it to indicate a full charge, then turn it back on. Test to see if that has fixed the problem. If not then we want to run several calibration cycles on Windows. Run the laptop as long as possible on battery, until the OS shuts it down due to low charge level. Plug in and wait for full charge indication, then repeat the process. It should last longer and longer each time before shutting down. Once it seems to be at a stable state report back with the results.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lambcf
    Thank you for replying to my post.
    I tried the reset exactly as described, unfortunately it didn't help. When the charger is plugged in there is no illumination of the battery indicator lights at all.
    When turned on the only indicator illuminated is the power indicator light blue (system is on).
    As soon as the power lead is removed the machine dies, no shut down, just dead.

• billsey
    edited January 2021
    OK, next step depends on whether you are in warranty or not, since it involves opening the case up. If you are out of warranty it's worth taking the bottom cover off and visually inspecting the battery. Especially look for how well the wiring between the battery and motherboard is connected, whether there is any discoloration of the wired or connectors and whether the battery itself is starting to bulge. Next check to see if the DC-In jack is directly soldered to the motherboard or if it's also on a set of wires. Again, check the wiring if appropriate and verify the jack itself is correctly seated and locked into place.
    Needless to say if you are in warranty it's time to contact Acer support...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SPM
    SPM Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hello, I have the same problem, but now I have completely resolved it. I have tried the following:
    Method 1: Changing Power Management Settings
    Method 2: Reinstall Battery Drivers
    Method 3: Run Power-Troubleshooter
    Method 4: Unstall Microsoft ACPI-compliant Control Method Battery
    Method 5: Power Reset Button
    Method 6: Disconnecting the Battery
    But the laptop taskbar still showed 100% battery full and the charger still refused to do charging, once I unplugged the charger, the laptop shutdown.
    So what I did is to disable Microsoft ACPI-compliant Control Method Battery by right clicking this tool in Device Manager. The battery icon disappeared from the taskbar. I shutdown my laptop, unplug the AC power, let it sit for one hour. Afterwards, I pressed Power button to start the laptop without AC power, the laptop can then run on battery without ACPI interruption. I drained up the whole battery till the laptop shutdown automatically. Right at this time, I plugged in AC power, turned on the laptop, immediately enabled Microsoft ACPI-compliant Control Method Battery by right clicking this tool in Device Manager. The battery icon appeared on the taskbar now, and indicated it was being charged from 3%. This problem can finally be resolved. Bravo!
  • lambcf
    billsey said:
    OK, next step depends on whether you are in warranty or not, since it involves opening the case up. If you are out of warranty it's worth taking the bottom cover off and visually inspecting the battery. Especially look for how well the wiring between the battery and motherboard is connected, whether there is any discoloration of the wired or connectors and whether the battery itself is starting to bulge. Next check to see if the DC-In jack is directly soldered to the motherboard or if it's also on a set of wires. Again, check the wiring if appropriate and verify the jack itself is correctly seated and locked into place.
    Needless to say if you are in warranty it's time to contact Acer support...

I removed the cover and everything looked in order. I didn’t remove the battery as I had no suitable tools. I lightly pressed the battery connector in case it was not seated correctly. I also held the battery reset button down again for 30 seconds or so.

Cover back on, power button pressed and surprisingly the thing started without power lead connected. Battery was showing 94%, so I let it run and after a short while it died.

Power lead connected, and surprisingly, amber light battery charging illuminated. Machine not switched on. After a while ca 10 mins, amber light starts blinking – battery low.

Power lead removed, machine switched on, no battery indicator lights illuminated. Battery level 84%. Machine runs, on battery for 21 mins then dies with battery 76%.

I repeat the cycle. 10 mins amber, then flashing. Run on battery start at 80%, runs 24 mins turns off (not dies) at 72%.

If the machine is o while charging it's basically the same i.e.: 9 min charge light on then blinking, although the the battery level continues to indicate the level is increasing right up until it says about 96%.

But at least there is some life on battery now 20 to 30 mins, as opposed to nil before.

• Have you checked battery wear with the hwinfo64 program?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • SPM
    SPM Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

lambcf said:
    Hello,
    I have been experiencing a problem for sometime where my laptop would power off without warning after a short time when running on battery power.
    Now it's got to the point where as soon as the charging cable is removed the laptop dies immediately, although the battery level indicates 98%.
    The laptop will only run when connected with the power cable. The battery indicator light does not illuminate.
    I would be grateful for any suggestions as to what the cause of this problem may be, and how to resolve it
    Thank You.
    Hello,

Try my method mentioned above your latest post, my similar problem was tackled by this method.  See if it can work on your machine.

Good luck!
    SPM
  • billsey
    It sounds as if you are doing pretty close to half of a recalibration cycle. Typically we ask you to run it until Windows shuts it down due to low battery, then fully charge it before turning it back on. That tends to get back to good data in the shortest number of cycles.