Aspire V3-772G9822 Running Hot? Can't be sure....

Options
I have a 7-year-old Acer Aspire V3-772G9822 with an i7-4702MQ CPU running @ 2.20GHz. I recently noticed that the laptop seemed to be generating a lot of heat, so I got a CPU temp monitor. When running processor-intensive tasks like video conversions (mkv to avi, etc.) it was getting up into the 90C-96C range. I have a large under-laptop fan that pulland just added a exhaust/vacuum fan that has reduced the average CPU core temps from the 90C+ range to high 60s to low 70s centigrade. Is this ok, or should I assume that the fan that produces the air coming out of the laptop body is perhaps either running at lower-than-normal rpm or there is dirt around the area where the fan operates? I have been unable to get any hardware monitoring program to detect a fan speed of any kind, which after doing some online reading about Acer laptops is perhaps par for the course. Any advice would be most welcome.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    60-70C is going to be just fine, 90-95 is pushing it. Likely at the higher temperatures it was starting to throttle things to help the fan out. Your Aspire V3-772G is fairly old, it came originally with Windows 8 IIRC and in those days they had switched to varying the fan speed to reduce noise, but weren't yet using ones that had speed sensors. Most modern ones do. Here's the table showing how the BIOS runs the fan:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    60-70C is going to be just fine, 90-95 is pushing it. Likely at the higher temperatures it was starting to throttle things to help the fan out. Your Aspire V3-772G is fairly old, it came originally with Windows 8 IIRC and in those days they had switched to varying the fan speed to reduce noise, but weren't yet using ones that had speed sensors. Most modern ones do. Here's the table showing how the BIOS runs the fan:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Potterjazz
    Potterjazz Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks, billsey. I got an external 'vacuum-style' fan that fits over the exhaust opening on the Acer Aspire and it is now staying in the range, or below, the 60-70C you mentioned. Thanks for clarifying about the fans. Indeed, the behavior that made me wonder what might be wrong with the laptop was just noticeable slowdowns in performance when doing ordinary things. And the unit really is plenty fast normally. I'm sure it was being throttled, as you say, since now it is behaving like it always did. Much appreciated!
  • billsey
    Options
    No problem, that's why we hang out here. :)