Upgrade Aspire E15 E5-576G-5815 SATA M.2 SSD

sublime
sublime Member Posts: 5 New User
edited October 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi, Good day! I have an Aspire E15 E5-576G-5815 i just want to know if I can upgrade to SATA M.2 SSD or NVMe M.2 SSD? and if I can what is the maximum gb?

please help

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,771 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You should be able to use an NVMe SSD card up to 2 TB without issues. You should however download and run hwinfo64 freeware to see if the PCI Express Root Port has a Maximum Link width of either 2x or 4x times the speed of a plain vanilla SATA3 m.2 SSD card. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    You should be able to use an NVMe SSD card up to 2 TB without issues. You should however download and run hwinfo64 freeware to see if the PCI Express Root Port has a Maximum Link width of either 2x or 4x times the speed of a plain vanilla SATA3 m.2 SSD card. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sublime

thank you for your help Jack E/NJ, does that mean i can use something like this? 

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-970-evo-nvme-m2-500gb-mz-v7e500bw/

and regarding the hwingo64 what part would you like to see?

• sublime

also I gathered the courage to open my unit, and this is what I saw, what slot mean anyway? sorry for the question I'm not that good with computers
  • JackE
    Click each rootport folder. Look for max linkwidth in right pane. 2X means twice SATA3 speed. 4X means quad SATA3 speed. The m.2 socket image is a single M-key and will accept and should be compatible with both the B+M keyslot SATA3 and  M-key slot NVME m.2 cards. The emphasis added is because NVMEs are a bit more bleeding edge tech, finicky & pricier than SATA3 cards and sometimes don't play well with different mainboards.  IMO, SATA3s are plenty fast enough relative to the fastest mechanical HDDs. And except for the most disk usage intensive applications, you won't notice much difference from NVMEs. However, some folks with money just gotta have the latest bleeding edge tech stuff so they can brag and feel good about it.   :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sublime
    Hi sorry about the late reply, i really appreciate you helping me! :-)

as per your instructions

• sublime
    by looking at the data, will i be able to install this """""   https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-ap/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-sn550-nvme-ssd#WDS250G2B0C   """""

sorry for the small captions...

• JackE
    It should work. But likely only at half its full potential or twice SATA3 card speeds. Probably won't notice much speed difference between an NVME and a SATA3 card except when using very high disk usage/intensive applications. If it were mine and if it cost the same money, I'd probably go for a higher capacity SATA3 which would be lightning fast relative a normally-cached mechanical drive. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Brenyt
    Brenyt Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2021
    Hi, I have the same laptop unit with sublime may I ask if there is an extra slot for a ssd for acer aspire e 15 576G-5815 cuz I cannot afford to loose my 2 tb HDD but I'm planning to get an extra ssd for my OS boost booting time

• JackE

It has one m2 SSD socket. But you must make sure that it is not filled with an m.2 rst optane cache card to help speed up the 2TB HDD. Check the SATA mode in your BIOS menu. It should be set to AHCI. If it is set to iRST with optane, then you must check the m.2 socket for the optane card.

Jack E/NJ

• Squirt101
    Squirt101 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Sir I also have the same unit. Can I insert a NVME ssd into my m.2 slot?  Or is it only capable of using pcie?Sorry I don't know much about laptop thingy
  • JackE
    If the m2 socket has one M-key on the right side, you can use either an m2 NVME card or an m2 SATA card. If it has two B+M keys are the left and right sides, you can only use an m2 SATA card.

Jack E/NJ

• Squirt101
    My laptop has this port does it mean sir that I can use nvme here?
  • Squirt101
    So sir can I use nvme here?
  • JackE
    Yes, absolutely If it has the single M-key on the right

Jack E/NJ

• Squirt101

Then sir what specific nvme do you recommend?
  • JackE
    Western Digital Blue series NVME for this laptop. The best deal right now is a 1TB model. About $95usd  Just google search the keywords western digital blue nvme 1TB for vendors who ship to your location.

Jack E/NJ