I have two M2 SSD slots. Would like to install Linux in the other one Helios 300

Options
Shiro90
Shiro90 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited January 2021 in Predator Laptops
I have a 2019 Predator Helios 300. It came with two M2 SSD slots. One is already with Windows 10 installed, which is my main OS. But I'd like to buy an extra SSD to put in the remaining slot and install Linux Mint in it.

But this is the first time I'm doing such a thing, so I'd like some guidance. I know I'll need the Linux Mint image (duh), which is obtained from their official site. But afterwards, how do I go through the procedure of having two OS's at the same time? I'd like making possible to alternate between the two when I turn on the laptop or something.

A step by step guide would be very helpful.

Answers

• SilvaGi
    SilvaGi Member Posts: 277 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited January 2021
    Options
    you probs need a moded BIOS to do that ( not sure how to find an install) . for the dual start up like you want.

Please Click Yes if Ive answered your question.
    Current: Custom Desktop Build (5800X, 16GB, 3070ti)
    Previous: Aspire 5 A515 44 R8RH
    (R5 4500u, 8GB, AMD Radeon Vega 6 iGPU)
    Previous: Nitro 5 AN515 55 (i7,16GB,1650ti)
    Thanks SilvaGi!

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,983 Trailblazer
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Shiro90 said:
    I have a 2019 Predator Helios 300. It came with two M2 SSD slots. One is already with Windows 10 installed, which is my main OS. But I'd like to buy an extra SSD to put in the remaining slot and install Linux Mint in it.

But this is the first time I'm doing such a thing, so I'd like some guidance. I know I'll need the Linux Mint image (duh), which is obtained from their official site. But afterwards, how do I go through the procedure of having two OS's at the same time? I'd like making possible to alternate between the two when I turn on the laptop or something.

A step by step guide would be very helpful.
    Look at this guide "How to Dual boot Windows 10 and Linux (Beginner's Guide)" it explains it pretty well as its too long to give you a guide here. You should have this after boot post.