Need some advice on a deal I found to upgrade my nitro 5.

Options
heni87
heni87 Member Posts: 20 Networker

Currently I have a nitro 5 2019 edition specced with i5 9300H and gtx 1050 3gb. I upgraded the ram to 16 gb from 8gb and the ssd to 512 gb from 256 gb it got first shipped with. I’ve used this laptop for about a year and half now and quickly it became relevant the gpu is very weak and can only do 1080p 60 fps in only esports/older games and even that is possible after knocking back quality settings. In recent AAA games it’s a joke since it struggles hold 1080p 30 fps even on the lowest settings which isn’t surprising given it’s equipped with a gpu that’s almost half a decade old.

Here are things you should know before you judge if the deal is a good one or I should pass it. Gaming laptops are crazy expensive where I’m at and the cheapest 1650 laptop costs around $850 despite they’re being sold for like $650 in US and that is with 256 gb ssd and 8gb ram. And 1660 ti laptops with i5 begin at about $1100.

Now I have about $450 for an upgrade and the only way to get the best performance boost is getting something equipped a better gpu. Currently I found a deal on another nitro 5 the same 2019 edition and i5 but equipped with 1660 ti with 16 gb ram and 512 gb ssd and 144Hz screen which perfectly aligns with my laptop specs except the much better gpu and high refresh rate display. The seller also examined my laptop’s condition and he said he can either pay me about $650 for mine so that I could buy whatever I want or I would add the $450 then he’ll change the laptop with the new nitro 5 he have on hand with the 1660 ti and 144Hz screen.

From benchmarks I saw on youtube the 1660 ti performs about 2-3x better than the 1050 depending on the game with dx12 and vulkan games mostly staying around 3x mark which is a good news seeing almost every new game coming out is using these modern APIs and the i5 doesn’t pose a serious bottleneck as I feared seeing comparison of i5 vs i7 on intel 9th gen cpus which to my surprise is almost negligible in most games.

So what do ya’ll think? Is swapping this laptop with a better variant right now worth it? I’m not holding my breath for upcoming gpus to be announced on ces this week seeing how supply is plagued already on desktop parts and nvidia isn’t willing to provide something better at a $1K mark for laptops which mind you is equivalent to $1300-$1400 where I’m at.