Keyboard Not Working, BIOS Bypassed (A315-53-30BS)

gmac1989
gmac1989 Member Posts: 4 New User
My Acer A315-53-30BS ran into a problem a few days ago.  First the computer stopped recognizing the hard drive and was giving a “No Bootable Device Found” error when I turned it on.  When I restarted it, I tried to enter the BIOS but the logo screen flashed for less than a second before going to the no bootable device found screen.  I’ve tried pressing both F2 and delete keys to get into the BIOS but nothing works.  From what I can tell, the motherboard isn’t recognizing the keyboard at all and the boot up process is completely bypassing the BIOS screen and going straight to saying it can’t find a boot drive.  I never even got the chance to change the boot list so that an external drive with a Windows repair program could be used.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    Press and hold the power button till the machine turns off. Remove charger. Press a paper clip into the battery reset pinhole on the bottom for about 60 seconds while at the same time pressing and holding the power button again. Then plug the charger back in. Then turn the machine on and IMMEDIATELY start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu; don't wait for the ACER logo to appear as it usually is too late by then. Check to make sure the HDD or SSD is shown in both the BIOS Information and Boot tabs. Then press F10 to save settings and exit the BIOS menu. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gmac1989
    I tried this and it didn’t work.  The screen still flashes the Acer logo for a split second and then shows the No Bootable Device Found screen.
  • JackE
    Turn the machine off again. Press and hold the F2 key. Then turn the machine on while still holding the F2 key. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gmac1989
    I tried that, it still goes to the No Bootable Device Found screen.
  • JackE
    Turn the machine off again. Then mash and hold a bunch of random keys with one hand and press the power button again. You should get a rather loud BIOS keyboard error beep error. If not, and you get the same no bootable device error, the keyboard ribbon connector has probably come loose from the mainboard. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gmac1989
    I wasn’t able to get a BIOS error beep either.  I opened the bottom of the laptop and checked the keyboard ribbon.  It is securely connected to the main board and doesn’t appear to have anything wrong with it.  
    Separately, I put the Windows 10 repair tool on a flash drive.  Only when plugged into the lone 3.0 port on the left hand side, the Acer logo still flashes for a second but then switches to a screen that says, “ No bootable device — insert boot disk and press any key.”  
  • JackE
    >>>It is securely connected to the main board and doesn’t appear to have anything wrong with it.  >>>
    Did you reseat it a few times just in case the contacts are dirty or corroded?

>>>Separately, I put the Windows 10 repair tool on a flash drive.  Only when plugged into the lone 3.0 port on the left hand side>>>
    Did you try the other two USB2 ports? Did you tap F12 key while turning the machine on?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ