Old acer aspire 5 A515-51G-53MR battery 19% plugged in not charging and then turned off

tadechuva
tadechuva Member Posts: 3 New User
I need some help here. Im not very good with "technology".  I have an old aspire -can't remember how hold but at least 4 or 5 years. It was a substitution to my "older"  desktop and maybe I didn't understand the differences that well. Laptop was always on top of my desk and like I did with my desktop I kept the charger always on. I guess that's not a good thing, maybe. I never had any problems with it, though, and it was working fine until a few months ago a few strange things happened - or maybe just strange to me -. The first one was that sometimes when I was typing or just touched it around the keyboard part I would get a light electrical shock.It was not a big deal and I wasn't sure if it was a problem so I did nothing. Then another time I put my cell phone on top of it and it turned off just like that. I checked and realized that the magnetic clasp from my cell phone cover had touched it. I thought maybe it was normal maybe it wasn't a good idea to touch magnets to the laptop so I just kept my phone away from it. Nothing else happened and I continued using it without problems. Until today. I was answering an email and I"m not sure if I touched the battery icon on the task bar, or it was a notification it showed 19% plugged in not charging. And before I had time to even check anything 2 or 3 minutes after it turned off.I know the cord charger is working fine it I had just checked it recently. When I clicked the on button to see if it would turn on I looked and the light was blinking blue for about 10 seconds and then will stop. It never turned on. I am not even sure where the battery is or if it can be replaced. The older ones used to be easy to see and easy to remove, but the batteries are different now. I think it's at the bottom but it has a screw holding it and I'm not sure if it is or not. Thinking back I suppose I shouldn't have it always charging even when I was not using it. I never thought about that, the desktop was always plugged and I didn't think much about the difference because the laptop uses a battery. The thing is, I used to save everything that I wanted to keep in my flash drives just in case something happened to the hard drive or something, but the last year my mom was diagnosed with cancer and I was so focused on that and on helping her, that I kind of forgot to save anything. And I need the stuff I have there. Is there any way to just replace the battery, or it might not even be that?  I don't know how much it will be to send it somewhere to see what the problem is, but regardless I don't think I can afford it right now. I'm thinking it probably is more expensive than just buying the battery. But then again buying a battery even if it's available might be a bad idea in case that is not the problem. I"m not really sure of what to do. I have another laptop that I can use, but I really need the stuff I had on the acer that I didn't put in the flash drive. If it's the battery, can I get another one? If it's something else related to it, is there any way to get my stuff from it? On the old desktop we could take the hard drive and put it on another tower,we did it once,  but the laptops seem so different. Can you tell me what my best options are please? Thank you  and sorry for the long post. I"m old and sometimes talk too much :)

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Turn the laptop off. Remove the charger. Check the bottom of the laptop for a battery reset pinhole. Should have a battery symbol next to it. If present, press and hold a paperclip into the pinhole for about 30 seconds. At the same time. press and hold the power button. Then plug the charger back in. Don't try to turn the laptop on if any lights are blinking. If the battery charge LED is steady orange, wait till it turns steady blue. Then try to turn the machine on again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Turn the laptop off. Remove the charger. Check the bottom of the laptop for a battery reset pinhole. Should have a battery symbol next to it. If present, press and hold a paperclip into the pinhole for about 30 seconds. At the same time. press and hold the power button. Then plug the charger back in. Don't try to turn the laptop on if any lights are blinking. If the battery charge LED is steady orange, wait till it turns steady blue. Then try to turn the machine on again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• tadechuva
    thank you so much for your help, I am going to try that.

Ana
  • tadechuva
    JackE I didn't have a chance to follow your suggestion until last night, but just wanted to tell you that I followed your instructions and it's working :)
    Thank you so much

Ana
  • JackE
    Congratulations on your success!   :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.