ACER ASPIRE 3 - BSOD - Can't install windows - no drives found

moleymoleymoley
moleymoleymoley Member Posts: 4 New User
I have a neighbours ACER ASPIRE 3 laptop, handed to me after a BSOD.

I cannot get it to boot, none of the recovery/repair options work (no backups made to recover from & each reboot following selection of repair options results in another BSOD).
I have made a bootable USB with Windows 10 on, and can boot from USB without issue.
But when I go to custom install and go to select a drive, none appear.

I assumed this was because we are missing a storage driver, therefore found the right drivers for this particular laptop on the acer website using the serial number.
I downloaded IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver, Version:16.0.3.1092, Vendor:Intel, Size:20.5 MB, loaded it and it's definitely compatible as I ticked the 'hide incompatible drivers' box and it still shows

Then went back to the drive selection and hit refresh, and still no drives are found.

Has anyone come across this problem before?
Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• moleymoleymoley
    Just to add to this...
    A diskpart > list disk does NOT show the HDD, only the two connected USB drives (one the bootable USB with Windows image, and one the USB with the storage driver). BUT... the HDD does show in the BIOS...
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Is it possible to check the mode of the drives in the bios, and if secure boot is turned on or off?
  • moleymoleymoley
    Leostat said:
    Is it possible to check the mode of the drives in the bios, and if secure boot is turned on or off?

It does appear to be... do you think this is preventing the HDD becoming visible upon Windows install? If so, how can I disable it?

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Nah it needs to be on for things to work propely. There goes my one idea im afraid :( . You could try booting into Linux to see if its able to see the drives
  • moleymoleymoley
    Any other suggestions with this? Other than bin the HDD?