Nitro AN515-54-51M5 Has No Power After Repasting CPU/GPU

Options
StADad
StADad Member Posts: 3 New User
My son games a lot on his Nitro 5, but his temps regularly ran near 97-98C, and performance seemed throttled. After reading up on possible issues, and watching numerous “how to” videos on YouTube, I repasted his CPU and GPU with Arctic M4. Everything went well, with no obvious glitches. However, there is now zero power.

I opened everything up again, checked the cable to battery and every other cable. The paste job looks fine. But still, no power at all, with or without power cord. I do not see a battery reset on this laptop. 

My son has been amazingly calm, considering that he cannot game or produce videos, which is what he enjoys most. 

Help!!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options
    So take some pictures for us with the case open, so we can look for any cables you might have missed or gotten not fully seated.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StADad
    Options
    Attached are three pictures. The first is before any work was done. The second is after with the heatsink and fan in place. The third is after with the heatsink and fan pulled up. 
  • billsey
    Options
    And I am not seeing anything obviously wrong. :( The key element in the power circuit are the power jack to motherboard cable and it doesn't look like you disconnected that at all, and the battery to motherboard cable. It's not obvious in the third picture, I assume you had the battery disconnected while working with the heatsink and fans?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StADad
    Options
    billsey said:
    And I am not seeing anything obviously wrong. :( The key element in the power circuit are the power jack to motherboard cable and it doesn't look like you disconnected that at all, and the battery to motherboard cable. It's not obvious in the third picture, I assume you had the battery disconnected while working with the heatsink and fans?
    I should have, but I did not. Because I have little experience working with computers, I was slavishly following the several YouTube videos that I watched, none of which disconnected the battery, and forgot the basic first step of disconnecting all power sources. I also did not make sure to discharge any static electricity, though I would think that my contact with the metal case would have done that. I assume I somehow shorted something. 

Thank you you for reviewing the pictures and your time. 
  • billsey
    Options
    Check with Acer support to see what they say...