Vertical lines + can't adjust brightness and want to update "display adapter" on Acer Swift SF314-52

Options
bubbles123
bubbles123 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Hello,

A few days ago, I started noticing that upon startup black and white (grey-ish?) vertical lines appear. I read a few possible solutions for it when I searched online and one of it was to try to "roll back" driver and if that didn't work to uninstall (?) (which I did). Before I did this, it indicated that my display adapter was "Intel (R) UHD graphics 620". 

Upon deleting this Intel driver (?), my current one is now the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and I can no longer adjust the brightness and it just stays at a very bright setting. The vertical lines seem to have gone away (for now) upon startup. I've scanned for hardware changes but it says "The best drivers for your device are already installed".

I can't go back to a previous version of Windows 10 as it says my PC's been updated more than 10 days ago. Also, when I click on the Windows icon and click "Power" (bottom left). I now only see two options there "Shut Down" and Restart" when I believe there used to be three (not sure if this is related).

If anyone can point me to the appropriate driver to download (from Windows or Acer) in order to fix these issues (adjusting brightness, getting rid of the vertical black and white (grey-ish) lines upon startup), that would be greatly appreciated, thank you. 

I also saw this website link below "Product Support for SF314-52" but I don't even know what to download without further causing issues: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/support-product/7226?b=1&pn=NX.GQGAA.001. I'm in Canada and am no longer in warranty.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    For the Intel card it's this driver:
    VGA
    VGA Driver
    Date:
    2018/06/14
    ersion:
    Vendor:
    Intel
    Size:
    343.4 MB

One you install it and reboot, windows may download and overwrite it with a newer version. The bars may have just been a bit of driver corruption maybe? If you install have a check to see if they come back

The missing option may have been log out, which has now been moved to when you right click the button instead of left click :)

• bubbles123

Tinkerer

Options
    Leostat said:
    For the Intel card it's this driver:
    VGA
    VGA Driver
    Date:
    2018/06/14
    ersion:
    Vendor:
    Intel
    Size:
    343.4 MB

One you install it and reboot, windows may download and overwrite it with a newer version. The bars may have just been a bit of driver corruption maybe? If you install have a check to see if they come back

The missing option may have been log out, which has now been moved to when you right click the button instead of left click :)

Hi Leostat,

Thanks for your reply! I downloaded that VGA Driver (2018/06/14) you mentioned and as I was going to run it, a window that said this popped up:

"This computer currently contains driver versions newer than the versions you are about to install. Are you sure you want to overwrite the following drivers with the older versions?"

It listed two drivers (?):

"Intel(R) Display Audio (10.26.0.3)"
    "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (10.0.19041.1)"

Any ideas why these showed up and if these are the newer versions it's asking me about, how can I find them? The latter of the two listed was the driver that seemed to be previously installed before I disabled (?) it.

Thanks.
  • Leostat
    Options
    So windows has automatically downloaded them for you :), if you check in  device manager its probabley got rid of the basic adater already. Is there the Intel option when you right click on your desktop?

There should also be a tray icon on the start bar, Or if thats not there, the control pannel for the intel drivers may be under (or very similar to):
    C:\Windows\System32\Gfxv4_0.exe

Sometimes you need to install something for it to detect the right thing to update, but it your case its done it already! Do you have brightness control back? If not, does changing the brightness via start -> "brightness" (same menu is under settings ->system -> display)

It could be that removing the drivers has just broke the keyboard shortcuts
  • bubbles123

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi Leostat,

The "Display Adapter" under Device Manager still lists "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

What do you mean by tray ion? I'm not sure where to look for the Intel drivers that my laptop was recognizing when I attempted to run that VGA Driver. Any ideas where it could be detecting it? I've looked under System 32 and the file location you suggested under System 32. I see different folders for Intel and Intel Audio Service but not sure where to find the drivers I need. 

Under Device Manager > Display Adapter, I also tried searching for drivers under the System 32 folder and it says the best driver (Microsoft Basic Display Adapter) is already installed.

Unfortunately, the brightness is still not adjusting through keyboard shortcuts or by adjusting it when searching Brightness.

Thanks.
  • Leostat
    Options
    Hmm if its installed the drivers it should have removed the basic adapter. It may be worth using the driver pack to downgrade which should restore the control panel and hopefully brightness control. It will be detecting the drivers from what windows installed.

The path is to start the control panel and not to install new drivers, stuff under the system folder is already installed :)

Intel changed how its drivers are handled which could have caused it to mess up with what it installed, if downgrading doesnt work, you could try installing the newest available driver from:
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30100/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

But im always hesitent to do this as it may cause other issues down the line 
  • bubbles123

Tinkerer

Options
    I haven't installed the VGA Driver that I downloaded from the Acer website as it asked me that question indicating there were already newer versions of the driver. So I wanted to look for those "newer" versions of the driver before I installed that 2018 one. I'm worried if I install the 2018 VGA Driver that it may delete the "newer" versions I listed above and Windows won't suggest an update to install those back?

The problem is I can't find where those "newer" drivers are located. When I search by name, i.e. "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620" in the search bar, nothing comes up.
  • Leostat
    Options
    Windows will auto update drivers back, if you were unsure you could do a windows restore point to "save" the state of the machine, and the driver itself is under:
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\       most likley igdkmd64.sys  , if you sort by date you may see the things it auto installed. To check if it is, right click the file, under details it will have the driver version

Doing a asystem restore is much much better than just copying these files though!

Even if you install older versions, windows will keep re-installing newer versions as they have security / performance impact.