Acer TravelMate P214 q button does not work

Balal
Balal Member Posts: 3 New User
Hi 

Bought a new Acer laptop and have been using it for a few weeks, and realised today that the q button has stopped working completely. Everything else works normally apart from this. What i've tried is to reset the batter by putting a little pin in the reset hole underneath the laptop and i've also removed the q button using a pry and gave it a clean but still no luck, any ideas on what I could try? I've also tried driver updates

Thanks

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Don't try to remove the key cover again or you might permanently damage the key mechanism or its cover. Try this. Open notepad. Then rapidly but firmly press & release the key at least 10 times. How many times, if any, did Q register? Then repeat the procedure 10 more times. How many times did Q register now? Keep repeating the procedure until  100%  of the Q keystrokes are registered. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Balal
    JackE said:
    Don't try to remove the key cover again or you might permanently damage the key mechanism or its cover. Try this. Open notepad. Then rapidly but firmly press & release the key at least 10 times. How many times, if any, did Q register? Then repeat the procedure 10 more times. How many times did Q register now? Keep repeating the procedure until  100%  of the Q keystrokes are registered. Jack E/NJ
    Tried that and didn't register a single time, I have a feeling it's a hardware issue instead of something software related
  • JackE
    Shut the machine off, Remove the charger. Then re-do the pinhole battery reset again for 60 seconds while at the same time pressing an holding the power button. Then plug the charger back in. Wait till the battery charge LED turns from solid orange to solid blue. Then turn it on and test it again. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Balal
    JackE said:
    Shut the machine off, Remove the charger. Then re-do the pinhole battery reset again for 60 seconds while at the same time pressing an holding the power button. Then plug the charger back in. Wait till the battery charge LED turns from solid orange to solid blue. Then turn it on and test it again. Jack E/NJ 
    Thanks for the suggestions, but none of these worked. maybe it actually is a damaged key
  • JackE
    The best way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue is a full erase everything ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset. If the problem remains, then yes it is likely a hardware issue and should either be returned as defective to the vendor/seller for a refund or exchange (if still within the seller's returns policy period) or scheduled for ACER warranty repair service (this usually takes longer). Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ