SATA Mode changes without warning TravelMate P2

BrentITSD
BrentITSD Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 2021 in TravelMate and Extensa
My organization has purchased a bulk load of Acer TravelMate P2 laptops due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We have been noticing that we have had to go back to several of those laptops because it goes into the Automatic Repair loop.  After reimaging and then troubleshooting we found the BIOS was being updated some how.  The users are not doing the updating they are just working and the user is not connected to AC power and the laptop has gone dead.  The users have just finished working for the day and power the laptop off just as they normally do.  There have been reports of the laptop automatically restarting like an update was just installed.  We cannot nail down one thing all the users have in common but the fix is the same each time.  We will power the laptop on and press F2 to get into BIOS and we find that the SATA Mode has been changed.  When we image the laptops the SATA mode is set to AHCI but when this issue pops up it is changed to RST with Optane.  We do not know how or why this has been changed. 

Has anyone else had this issue pop up? 

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    widows pushes out bios updates now was well via the updates. it could be that maybe?
  • BrentITSD
    BrentITSD Member Posts: 2 New User
    Leostat said:
    widows pushes out bios updates now was well via the updates. it could be that maybe?
    It is only happening to a few laptops and not all of them. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    It could easily be the updates Windows pushes. A BIOS or UEFI update should change the parameters, but I could see how they might reset to defaults when done automatically like that. Defaults are going to be RST with Optane... I assume you aren't using HDDs in them?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.