wifi not working in triple boot linux acer nitro 5

Options
sonusharma
sonusharma Member Posts: 5 New User
i have triple boot my acer nitro5 with ubuntu 20.04 and kali-linux
but wifi not connecting in both(kali linux and ubuntu) when i click on connect to some network it try to connect for some time but say connection unsucessful.
but it is working better in windows.
any suggestion?

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    Does iwconfig show the WiFi card correctly?

Check sudo dmesg and /var/log/messages to see if there is relevent in there. 

If nothing jumps out, I would have a bash at using WPA supplicant to connect manually to see what point it's failing at:
    https://www.linuxbabe.com/command-line/ubuntu-server-16-04-wifi-wpa-supplicant

Steps should be the same for 16 and 20 and kali. At a quick guess, it could be DHCP not working properly between the two OS's 
  • sonusharma
    Options
    :/shown this message.....what should i do?
  • Leostat
    Options
    That looks like your driver isn't working , I spy a Mac changer tab, have you tried do that as some WiFi chips don't like that.

Also which kernel are you running? (uname -a)

I would try re installing the driver for the card , if you do a lspci to see if it's got the chip name, and then use either the apt install or the Intel closed  source drivers

A teardown of a similar laptop suggests it's an Intel 9560, firmware for it is here:
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000005511/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Inbuilt WiFi can be a pain if it's not working out of the box, tis why so many people get Alfa cards :)

• sonusharma
    Options

No. i haven't tried Mac changer tab
    i have downloaded compat-wireless-2010-06-26-p as shown above in pic and try to load it .
    Wifi network name is showing but after typing my hotspot password click on connect .... it search for some time and remain disconnected............
    but in windows it connect to wifi smoothly.....
    suggest me .... i am stuck here.....

• Leostat
    Options
    Why that driver? There is no chance of it working! It's from well before your card was made. From lspci you have a qca6174 which should be supported with the default drivers I think ath10k

First look at 
    dmesg | grep -i ath10k

Then repair the default
    sudo apt update; sudo apt install --reinstall linux-firmware

Then try this which others suggest will work:
    sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/ideapad.conf <<< "blacklist ideapad_laptop"

Then reboot and have a bash. 

Are you trying to get packet injection working with the compat driver?
  • sonusharma
    Options
    unable to locate linux-firmware.
    i have observed that when my phone hotspot AP band is 5 GHz wifi connects.
     But not on 2.4GHz AP band why?
    Because if i enable AP band to 5GHz other device will not connect(don't support)
    actually i want to do arp spoofing so i have to connect this network to kali as well as another phone.
    but my kali is not able to connect 2.4 GHz ap band and my other device(phone) couldn't connect to 5GHz
    have any suggestion?
  • Leostat
    Options
    That is .. weird. Did the tee command change anything then or did it always work on 5ghz?

Part of me is wondering if there is a problem with the WiFi and Bluetooth at the same time as they are both 2.4, you could try disabling Bluetooth  

Sudo systemctl stop bluetooth; sudo systemctl disable bluetooth;

Reboot, there are some adapters that used to be funny like that 

But after that I'm a bit stumped :(
  • sonusharma
    edited January 2021
    Options
    i have done many things but nothing work...from https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=301186
    it always work on 5ghz only...
    sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

[main]
    plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
    managed=false

[device]
    wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

would this problem get solve if i buy a wifi adapter?

• Leostat
    Options
    Most likely it would be as long as the adapter had support in the kernel