I am looking for advice on case/mobo upgrades for the Predator 3000

Options
OddOldEnds
OddOldEnds Member Posts: 2 New User
So! I should start out by stating that I am a complete amateur when it comes to PC building.

I recently bought a Predator 3000 and I new that I was going to want more RAM so I got some. Found out rather quickly that the PSU can't really handle it, so I bought a new one only to find that the 6-pin mobo connection is not standard and am at a loss. I have been getting mixed results on being able to take the old cpu to a new mobo and so I finally cam across a post on here of someone saying they have done it but I am still at a loss as I do not know which mobo/case combo they went with. The comments also mentioned that he replaced the cpu fan. I am just kind of lost and a little bummed that I have a couple hundred dollars worth of parts that are just sitting in the packaging at the moment and could use some help here. 

Thank you in advance, and if anyone needs more info, just let me know! 

Answers

• StevenGen
    Options
    So! I should start out by stating that I am a complete amateur when it comes to PC building.

I recently bought a Predator 3000 and I new that I was going to want more RAM so I got some. Found out rather quickly that the PSU can't really handle it, so I bought a new one only to find that the 6-pin mobo connection is not standard and am at a loss. I have been getting mixed results on being able to take the old cpu to a new mobo and so I finally cam across a post on here of someone saying they have done it but I am still at a loss as I do not know which mobo/case combo they went with. The comments also mentioned that he replaced the cpu fan. I am just kind of lost and a little bummed that I have a couple hundred dollars worth of parts that are just sitting in the packaging at the moment and could use some help here. 

Thank you in advance, and if anyone needs more info, just let me know! 
    Firstly, give us all the information of which spec Predator 300 you have, like cpu specs, ram specs and the # of the oem mobo? And what new components you have bought e.g. mobo, ram PS etc so that we can advise you what you have done wrong? Anyway, don't know the exact specs of your new mobo or PS (as you didn't quote what you have?) but and from what I'm familiar with the oem Predator 3000 has a i7-8700 socket 1151 cpu that you can buy fans and water cooling which are readily available everywhere and they are very simple to install, with the ram, its very strange (if you bought the right ram?) that it doesn't fit?

Now, with the ram, the oem Predator 300 comes with 16GB DDr4-2400MHz and can take a max of 64GB (get CPUID and find out the exact specs of your oem memory and look in the SPD section) and either match that because, if you want to add 1x quicker memory stick, the memory will always run at the slower speed no matter what memory your combination you upgrade to e.g. if your oem is 1x 16GB DDR4-2400MHz and you add another 1x 16GB DDR4-2666MHz both sticks will run at 32GB DDR4-2400MHz. The Predator 3000 oem mobo has 4x slots that take type 288pin DDR4 2400MHz to DDR4-2666MHz SDRAM type memory and you can install memory modules in any combinations as long as they match the specifications, which means that you can put 4, 8, 16GB 288pin DDR4 2400 or DDR4-2666MHz SDRAM, depends on your oem speed and if you want to discard the oem memory and get a kit of the same memory and sizes/speed/timing, as if you mix speed/timing, the above will happen. 

With the mobo and the cpu its your fault  "I have been getting mixed results on being able to take the old cpu to a new mobo" that is because you bought the wrong mobo! What mobo did you buy? Give us the model # as you haven't given us any information. Is it for an 8th Gen Intel cpu Socket 1151 as it seems like you have bought upgraded parts that are not suitable to use the oem Predator 3000 cpu the i7-8700 socket 1151 and the new mobo does not accomodate 288pin DDR4 SDRAM memory, tell us more. Also and with the PS, the Predator 3000 comes with an oem 500W which is adequate to run its peripherals and the GeForce® RTX 2070, so its ok that you have upgraded to a higher wattage PS but, "I don't know why"? Are you intending upgrading the gpu? 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yeah, you should have no power problems with even maxed out ram on the PO3-620. The 500W is plenty for everything except some GPU upgrades. What made you think you were having a power problem when adding memory?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.