Nitro 5 fans making rattling noise (AN515-54-58YY)

Flayer
Flayer Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

I bought the Nitro 5 a year ago and the fans weren’t making any rattling noise. However about 3 months ago, it started to make a small rattling noise that then got washed out once I made the gpu fan max speed. However as of late November, the rattling started to get more louder and louder and its gotten to the point where my gpu fan sometimes doesn’t even work and gets stuck at 200 RPM. If I try to raise it, it’ll make a very loud and obnoxious rattling sound that takes a decent bit to go away, and once it does and it goes to full speed just fine. However there have been times where it went full speed but then suddenly stopped and make the rattling sound again until it fixed itself. 

I cracked open the back to see if anything was blocking the fan but I didn’t see anything in or outside the fan. I only saw tiny bits of dust that honestly won’t do anything to it because the cpu fan had a bit more and that fan worked perfectly. I got rid most of the dirt on top fan as well as the small area in it which I basically saw nothing. Once that was done I booted the laptop up and nothings changed. Can someone please help me!!

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,522 Trailblazer
    Flayer said:
    I bought the Nitro 5 a year ago and the fans weren’t making any rattling noise. However about 3 months ago, it started to make a small rattling noise that then got washed out once I made the gpu fan max speed. However as of late November, the rattling started to get more louder and louder and its gotten to the point where my gpu fan sometimes doesn’t even work and gets stuck at 200 RPM. If I try to raise it, it’ll make a very loud and obnoxious rattling sound that takes a decent bit to go away, and once it does and it goes to full speed just fine. However there have been times where it went full speed but then suddenly stopped and make the rattling sound again until it fixed itself. 

I cracked open the back to see if anything was blocking the fan but I didn’t see anything in or outside the fan. I only saw tiny bits of dust that honestly won’t do anything to it because the cpu fan had a bit more and that fan worked perfectly. I got rid most of the dirt on top fan as well as the small area in it which I basically saw nothing. Once that was done I booted the laptop up and nothings changed. Can someone please help me!!
    The fan casing must be touching your fan(s), there is 4x tinny screws that hold the top cover on, open up this cover and inspect the under side and the fans, see if there are any markings on either the top cover or bottom plate of the fans? If there are, then one or both of the fans are touching when they rev up. If that is the case? Then replace the fans as the cover or bottom casing or the fans shafts are distorted and its touching the fan(s) and it needs replacing. 
  • Flayer
    Flayer Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited January 2021
    StevenGen said:
    Flayer said:

The fan casing must be touching your fan(s), there is 4x tinny screws that hold the top cover on, open up this cover and inspect the under side and the fans, see if there are any markings on either the top cover or bottom plate of the fans? If there are, then one or both of the fans are touching when they rev up. If that is the case? Then replace the fans as the cover or bottom casing or the fans shafts are distorted and its touching the fan(s) and it needs replacing. 

Thanks for replying! Is there any type of video that can guide me through this, I’ve never done this type of things before and I’m worried I might mess something up if I do it without a video guiding me. 
  • Paxseko
    Paxseko Member Posts: 3 New User
    Bumping this, as I have the same model and same problem, but am unsure how to remove the fan from the heatsink. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,240 Trailblazer
    edited January 2021
    This video can assist you in disassembling:

But it is necessary to start disassembling the laptop here:
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Paxseko
    Paxseko Member Posts: 3 New User
    I'm guessing that I have to remove 'tape' from the fans that is going to heat sink. Is that necessary to replace later?
  • FlamingLemons
    FlamingLemons Member Posts: 2 New User
    Temporary fix: Legit just gently shake the computer. Permanent fix: Tighten the screws on the fan casings.
  • Chuchiman69
    Chuchiman69 Member Posts: 1 New User

you have to clean your fan and add a drop of machine oil and if it still doesn't help, you can try installing the chipset driver from the acer support and driver website ik it sounds absurd but it magically worked for me and i was surprised as well.