The search for a new computer

BAZ57
BAZ57 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I've started the process of looking for a new computer.  Some friends have recommended Acer. I've been looking at the Aspire line. Got a couple questions that I'm hoping some one can answer/expalin.
1. I've been looking at the TC-875-UR15. It comes with a 512 SSD. I want to add an additional 1T HDD. I know other models came with both, but I already have a 1T HDD, so why but another? (I use it to back up both mine and my wife's PC). Just looking for verification that I'll be able to add a second hard drive. Also, when do a compare with other desktops, it starts that the TC-875-UR15 does not have HDMI ports. I find that strange and was wondering if it truly does not have HDMI or it's just a typo on the specs. I've tried doing a search, but can find no othere ferances on the net to this model.

2. This one has me confused. Been looking at ACERs on Amazon. I find one with same model numbers, but the configuration is different than what is on the ACER site. For instance, this desktop is listed as an TC-895 with 10th Gen Intel 6-Core i5-10400 | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD Boot + 1TB HDD. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KY14YTY/?coliid=I1Y4FSDEFYP0NK&colid=1JAOXE9N9GRUT&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it  However none of the TC-895 on the ACER website have that combination. What am I finding on Amazon? Custom upgrade, wrong information, ???

Thanks for the assist

Answers

• BAZ57 said:
    I've started the process of looking for a new computer.  Some friends have recommended Acer. I've been looking at the Aspire line. Got a couple questions that I'm hoping some one can answer/expalin.
    1. I've been looking at the TC-875-UR15. It comes with a 512 SSD. I want to add an additional 1T HDD. I know other models came with both, but I already have a 1T HDD, so why but another? (I use it to back up both mine and my wife's PC). Just looking for verification that I'll be able to add a second hard drive. Also, when do a compare with other desktops, it starts that the TC-875-UR15 does not have HDMI ports. I find that strange and was wondering if it truly does not have HDMI or it's just a typo on the specs. I've tried doing a search, but can find no othere ferances on the net to this model.

2. This one has me confused. Been looking at ACERs on Amazon. I find one with same model numbers, but the configuration is different than what is on the ACER site. For instance, this desktop is listed as an TC-895 with 10th Gen Intel 6-Core i5-10400 | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD Boot + 1TB HDD. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KY14YTY/?coliid=I1Y4FSDEFYP0NK&colid=1JAOXE9N9GRUT&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it  However none of the TC-895 on the ACER website have that combination. What am I finding on Amazon? Custom upgrade, wrong information, ???

Thanks for the assist
    The TC-875-UR15 has got HDMI ports (see caption below) and "Yes" you can put 3x SATA drives onto the motherboard, remember the TC-875-UR15 has got only a 300W power supply and you cant just stack all sorts of auxiliary additions onto this desktop or change its GPU, its a bare bone desktop tower. Also, the different models are catered for different price ranges, retail outlets and countries, that is why there are so many variations of the TC-8xx desktop models e.g. the TC-8xx models range in the US is totally different to Europe etc  

• HMonk
    HMonk Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    StevenGen points out an important (to me) point: this machine has a 300W PSU - rather puny by today's standards. Now, adding a 1TB HDD is not taxing but I would ask, how do you use a computer; as StevenGen rightfully notes, your upgrade possibilities here are limited. My approach is to build/buy after carefully considering my anticipated needs over a 3-year (max) period - but I am a gamer, photographer, and utilize moderately complex spreadsheets and laden database apps (Office). What do you do today, next year: buy/build accordingly. 

One more point: ever consider building your own machine? By doing so, you get exactly what will serve your anticipated needs and save money in the process. It is not a critique, per se, but I noted a fellow here who recently bought a barebones unit "on sale" and very soon thereafter began the process of upgrading!? So, you are asking questions and that is good. My questions start by asking, what demands will I place on this machine and can the existing CPU/allied chipset, GPU, and RAM handle it; storage demands are important only in so far as does the mobo have the required type (SATA, M.2, etc) and number of slots.  

Final word about Acer/Aspire. I custom build desktops for my needs, usually upgrading/new build every three years; I know little specifics about brands and their models. However, after my research, I purchased an Acer Aspire laptop in August, 2019. It is well made, nicely configured, and satisfies my "casual" computing needs. I would join with your friends in commending Acer. Do consider your anticipated needs and buy accordingly; folks can answer your questions re CPU/chipsets, GFX cards, (vs. integrated GFX - :/ ), RAM, et al.

Monk
  • BAZ57

Tinkerer

Thanks for the information. The other Acer I'm looking at is the TC-895-UR12. It already has the 1TB HDD and a little larger processor and it also has the 300W. So 300W should be fine. 
    I'm defiantly not a power user. Not a gamer. Probably my most intensive process is Photoshop. I do images that require lots of layers and such.
    I've considered building my own, but I'm not that computer literate. Rather buy premade and avoid the hassle. My current PC is a 10 year old Dell. It started giving me some minor issues that can't figure out. Debated clearing the hard drive and reinstall everything, but my wife said "It's 10 years old, buy yourself a new one." I have a great wife :)
  • Marty11
    Marty11 Member Posts: 106 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited January 2021
    Acer has decent hardware in my opinion, but driver support is limited to about 3 years.

Whatever you buy, check that your new processor isn't vulnerable to the Meltdown and Spectre bugs, furthermore be carefull of Intel® Converged Security and Management Engine security vulnerabilities (have a look here). These are things that you can't fix with a driver update yourself and really need Acer to fix for you.

• djw1674
    djw1674 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

I, too, had a 10 year old Dell running Windows 7 but just replaced it with the Acer TC-895-UA92. Paid a little under $500 to my door. It's listed on the Acer website if you want to review the specs. I also had an extra 1T HDD laying around and can confirm that the installation is possible and simple. Acer includes an extra SATA cable which plugs into the board and there is an available power connector on the cable feeding the DVD drive. There is mounting space for another HDD but you will need to order the Acer 6 pin power cable. It has only HDMI video connectors. And, the power supply is the new 12 volt only (ATX12VO I believe is correct) but it is 300w.

My computer usage is similar to yours with Lightroom 6 being the most intensive program. I've kept the 512G M.2NVMe clean with all my previous programs and files stored on the 1T HDD. Boots quickly.

Just thought I'd give you my experience in case you wanted to research the model that I purchased. I'm pleased thus far.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Acer also sell other SKUs of the TC-895 with 500W PSUs, the part numbers for them are DC.5001H.001 and DC.5001B.009. So the bigger supplies are available, just not from the third party market yet. My guess is the PSU manufacturers are waiting to see the demand before they bundle their supplies in retail packaging.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @BAZ57

Last month Dell had such an offer that I considered "BEST  VALUE OF THE YEAR " , that a  i5-10400 CPU with 1 TB spinning HDD PC sold at $380. Upgrading with 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD (around $60) and another 8GB RAM, and adding an ODD if needed will satisfy most non-gamer's need. Too bad that it had only two video output ports. It is important for me to have three video ports for dual monitors plus a TV connection, so I dropped the idea of buying it to replace one of my old PC that started to have some minor unexplainable problems.
    Any reason to switch from Dell to Acer? A 10th generation i-5 with128 GB SSD + 1 TB SSD Dell desktop is selling around $550, worth considering.

Anyhow, one thing I like to point out is : 
    Dell has very good documentation, while ACER is very poor on that, very little  useful information from the what so called "User Manual".
  • BAZ57

Tinkerer

Switching from Dell to Acer?  I had major issues with their computer support. The short version is I went through 3 hard drives in less then 2 months. Lots of arguments with support. However on the plus side, due to their stupidity, I did get the PC for free. I doubt I could be that lucky again.