Aspire E5-576 system is vulnerable - Intel CSME Version Detection Tool

Customer1
Customer1 Member Posts: 2 New User
My Acer Aspire E5-576-392H laptop was scanned with the latest Intel(R) CSME Version Detection Tool (Application Version: 3.1.0.0).
The analysis result is: "This system is vulnerable." (see below for the full scan results).
Intel advises to contact your system manufacturer (Acer) for support and remediation of this system.

I tried contacting Acer support, but I'm no longer eligible for warranty support and was sent here.

So Acer, please provide support and remediation for the CSME vulnerability in the Acer Aspire E5-576 series laptops for the:
  • Intel(R) Converged Security and Management Engine
  • Version: 11.8.50.3399
I'm running Win10x64 Home (build 2004). All Windows updates have been applied. All Acer Care Center updates have been applied and it reports: "your system is up to date".

Full scan results of the Intel(R) CSME Version Detection Tool:
Intel(R) CSME Version Detection Tool
Application Version: 3.1.0.0
Scan date: 15-10-2020 22:01:05

Risk Assessment
Based on the analysis performed by this tool: This system is vulnerable.

Explanation:
The detected version of the Intel(R) Converged Security and Management Engine firmware has a vulnerability listed in one or more of the public Security Advisories. Contact your system manufacturer for support and remediation of this system.
For more information refer to the Intel(R) CSME Version Detection Tool User Guide or the related Intel Security Advisory list at: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031784/technologies.html

Host Computer Information
Name: XXXXX
Manufacturer: Acer
Model: Aspire E5-576
Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8130U CPU @ 2.20GHz
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Intel(R) ME Information
Engine: Intel(R) Converged Security and Management Engine
Version: 11.8.50.3399

Copyright(C) 2017-2020, Intel Corporation, All rights reserved.

Answers

• Customer1
    Customer1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Additional information: I'm running the latest BIOS version v1.49 from the Acer driver support site.
  • weblee
    weblee Member Posts: 1 New User
    OK...8 months later and I do not see any reference to a fix ANYWHERE for my acer device.  Normally - I'm just a user right but with work from home my system is NOT passing the security requirements for me to use my Aspire v 17 Nitro for connectivity to the job.

I dropped Dell after leaving me in this kind of situation - is this when I go all the way to MAC?
  • samiam3
    samiam3 Member Posts: 37 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited February 17

I also in 2024 Feb have "This system is vulnerable" on a AN517-51. At this point, I doubt Acer is going to fix this.

For those who wish to check, get the Intel vulnerability detection tool here

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19392/28632/intel-converged-security-and-management-engine-version-detection-tool-intel-csmevdt.html