PH315-51 (2018 Helios 300) Heat Question After Repaste

Options
Boeing7479M
Boeing7479M Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Hey all,

I decided to regrease my PH315-51 (i5-8300H, 1060) after some time using throttlestop (where I basically used it for nothing more than limiting the CPU to 3.2GHz).

I regreased using the Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut, and replaced the thermal pads for the GPU RAM chips with that by Laird (specifically TFlex HD90000 series 1.0mm thickness).

Now I noticed that while gaming, the CPU temperature does not exceed 90C (which is good) compared to an almost consistent 95C before , but I noticed the GPU temperature is around the same as the CPU, regardless of the game played, and this can go to as high as 89C. The difference between the GPU and CPU is also small (around 0-3C, especially when gaming). I admit that I had not been paying much attention to the GPU temperature before, but I have this feeling that it was significantly lower prior to regreasing. The area just above the keyboard where the air vents are underneath also feels hotter than usual.

Is this normal, or is my mind playing tricks on me?

I've actually regreased a second time thereafter, this time with more paste (size of 2 grains of rice, as opposed to one previously) and the temperature max doesn't change much, as neither did the difference between GPU and CPU - it remain small.

I've also undervolted the CPU (-0.154V @ 3.3GHz), with no noticeable change in temperatures.

Where have I gone wrong? My gut feeling is that it may be the thermal pads (is the thickness OK?)...

Best Answer

• Boeing7479M

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    Managed to lower the temperatures to the lower-mid 70s after opening up the fan assembly. There is a load of gunk accumulating in the fins that is not visible from the outside. Games that used to cause temperatures around 95C is now running the laptop a good 20C cooler!

If you've repasted and undervolted, but not seen significant temperature improvements, it's definitely dust blocking the fins.

Answers

• Boeing7479M

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    Managed to lower the temperatures to the lower-mid 70s after opening up the fan assembly. There is a load of gunk accumulating in the fins that is not visible from the outside. Games that used to cause temperatures around 95C is now running the laptop a good 20C cooler!

If you've repasted and undervolted, but not seen significant temperature improvements, it's definitely dust blocking the fins.