Aspire S7-392-9890 Default Boot Device Missing

space_coyote
space_coyote Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi all,

My laptop (an Acer Aspire S7-392-9890 with 256GB SSD in factory setup as RAID0) died unexpectedly on Christmas day, not sure exactly what happened as it was running but not in use at the time; however, I suspect it may have tried to do an automated Win10 update. Now on startup I get the message "Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed". Using a Win10 recovery USB into command prompt I've managed to copy everything off the SSD to an external drive, so no worries about data loss and indicates the SDD is still alive and working. Since then I've tried everything to get it running again, including:
> Checked boot order in BIOS
> Switched between UEFI and Legacy and back to UEFI, and disabled secure boot
> Used Win10 recovery USB to get to command prompt and replace BCD, chkdsk on C: (some errors, nothing major) and boot partition (no errors)
> Used Win10 recovery USB to try uninstalling recent updates, and fall back to restore point
> Used Win10 recovery USB to initiate a windows reinstall
> Used Win10 recovery USB to format both the C: and Boot (ESP) partitions and initiate a clean windows install - note that I haven't touched the other partitions nor repartioned the disk
> Used Macrium Reflect to repair the boot files
> Restarted and let it sit with BIOS open for 30+ min to see if the SDD would fix its table of contents which is a known issue for the S7 I read about elsewhere on this forum

In every case it goes back to the "Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed" message on startup (i.e. WIn10 installs mentioned above don't complete). I've seen that the S7 had a BIOS update release a few years back to address an issue that sounds much like the one I'm facing.

https://au.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32781/~/s7-392-bios-update-may-prevent-boot-failed-error-message

I've confirmed that my BIOS (v2.07) is not updated to the version with the bug fix (v2.09), so this could be causing my problem. However, now that I can't get into Windows I can't run the Acer BIOS update. Is anyone able to give me some instructions on how to create a USB to flash the BIOS using the BIOS update download available from Acer? I have another PC available (non-Acer) on which I can create the USB

For reference, I don't have an Acer recovery USB. I did create one when I got the laptop, but that was 6+yrs and several countries worth of moving ago - don't think I have it anymore.

I've reach out to Acer's customer team, but given it's the holidays dropping this here as well in case anyone can help in the meantime.

Thanks!!

Answers