Recommended graphics cards for my VM6660G-I5850CA

Options
Hi There.  I purchased a Veriton Series M desktop, model # VM6660G-I5850CAN2. 

It has a 500W power supply, i5 processor, and integrated Intel HD 630 graphics.  The power supply from the sticker on the PSU is 500W.  Only addition outside of the graphics card below was an extra 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz stick.

I tried plugging in a GTX 650 video card with 1GB of GRR5 in the PCIe slot and connected the 6 pin and the machine no longer booted.  The card itself is good.  Just got a black screen and didn't see any indication that power was going to the GTX 650.  When I disconnected the 6 pin power cable I can hear the video card fans running constantly but didn't go further than that.  I took the graphics card out and everything booted fine. 

I never did actually plug a video cable into the GTX 650 as the machine just didn't boot with it.  I saw no option to disable onboard video from the BIOS. 

My question is should using the GTX 650 have worked?  Would I be better off using something like a GTX 1650 or another card that doesn't need external power? 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    There shouldn't be any issues with a new GPU card, there is a connector on the GTX 650 for additional power and that's required. NVIDIA specs 400W or larger PSU so your 500W should be enough. The issue though seems to be that you tried to use the onboard video with a GPU plugged into the slot. When the system detects a GPU card it disables the onboard. Try connecting to the 650 instead of the MB.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Colin9010
    Colin9010 Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options
    Hi Billsey.  Thanks very much for this.  Subsequently I did try the DVI slot on the GTX 650 connected to my monitor and it just seemed like nothing booted but I may have made a mistake.  (There is a mini HDMI port on the GTX 650 but I only have full size HDMI cables and my converter to convert the mini HDMI to full-size HDMI would not fit in the connector on the card after putting the card into the computer)  I'll try again and if I'm successful I'll leave a comment.
  • Colin9010
    Options
    Hi Billsey.  This morning I did try putting in the GTX 650 into the machine and hooked up a DVI cable to a monitor with a DVI input.  The machine just wouldn't boot.  Down the road I'll try a newer card when I'm ready to upgrade and try it.  Unless there is anything else yourself or anyone else can think of to try I'll leave this one for now and try again down the road when I get a card that is more permanent anyway.
  • Colin9010
    Options
    Hi Billsey / All.  If this helps I've been taking a look at the Boot Options in the BIOS and think that the Secure Boot option may have a part to play here.  That and having a UEFI compliant card which I don't think my GTX 650 would have in an original stock card and don't have the equipment to easily flash onto the ROM on the card.  Looks like I'll need to wait until I get a more modern card.  Thanks to Billsey and everyone that looked at this issue.  If there is anything else I can practically try please let me know.
  • HMonk
    HMonk Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Suggestion: use DDU to uninstall ALL GFX (AMD or Nvidia) drivers and install the specified driver for your machine/card. You may be able to ID doggy drivers by booting to Safe Mode (if it boots it's the driver). Regardless, in my experience, 9 of 10 times it's drivers - assuming the card is OK. Oh, any time you are worried about secure boot: disable it.
  • Colin9010
    Options
    Thanks HMonk.  Unfortunately I don't get to boot to the OS.  I get an initial beep and it looks like the computer will start and that is as far as I get.  I will look to disable the Secure Boot when I get a newer card.  I will look at the UEFI settings and may try that as well as one last shot with the existing card.  It's too bad I can't rent a card for an hour and find out for sure.
  • HMonk
    HMonk Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Just to clarify: machine will not boot at all, or OS does not launch?
  • billsey
    Options
    The machine will not boot at all with the card installed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Colin9010
    Options
    That's right. The machine doesn't boot at all with the card installed.  I did try the card with Secure Boot disabled and it still wouldn't boot.  My next thought here is to try a more modern card when I can get one.  I will probably call the Acer support directly and see if they can recommend a few specific cards when the time comes unless there is anything else I can do here.
  • ANDYLONGS
    ANDYLONGS Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Same issue here, my Veriton will not boot with either a Quadro FX570 or 580 installed. Any solutions?
  • billsey
    Options
    Those are also really old cards... Maybe they don't support a UEFI system?
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @ANDYLONGS
    My friend, if you use Quadro FX 570 or 580 cards, you are downgrading your graphics performance even if those cards can work with your PC. Those cards have benchmarks not even 1/10th of the Intel UHD 630.
    I would suggest don't waste your time there.
  • AalleexX
    AalleexX Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Same problem here! Any solutions?
  • billsey
    Options
    @AalleexX do you also have a Veriton M6660G? Are you also trying to install a really, really old GPU in it?
  • AalleexX
    AalleexX Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @billsey I guess i need a newer card, just don't know where is the cut off. 700series!? 900series?

• billsey
    Options
    As ttttt suggests, start by looking at the performance of the builtin GPU and only look at cards that will be faster... I'm guessing you're going to be looking at least at a 1050...