Desperate for help

Options
rtjdl
rtjdl Member Posts: 3 New User
My Acer Chromebook crashed  I followed Google instructions to reset  system.  Appears I lost everything.  Is my data automatically backed up to the cloud and if so how do I retrieve them?   Is there any hope?  My life were in those files    

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,038 Trailblazer
    edited December 2020
    Options
    rtjdl said:
    My Acer Chromebook crashed  I followed Google instructions to reset  system.  Appears I lost everything.  Is my data automatically backed up to the cloud and if so how do I retrieve them?   Is there any hope?  My life were in those files    
    Firstly, don't panic and also, don't try to recover the data yourself, as you will stuff things up, don't do anything with any "recovery software" that is around, as a "Data Recovery" technician can recover your data from your eMMC or any drive, btw I've had that done and they recovered 99.99% of all my data, so try that, they are very good.

When using "Google Chrome OS" did you utilise their iCloud or any external backup? Because if you didn't then it will not be backed up. Don't give up, you could go to see what was backed up in your google account? Also and next time (yes I know its a cliché) but, "you should always back your data up" onto another drive, as this is what happens. Good luck and hope this is helpful. 
  • rtjdl
    Options
    SteveGen...I really appreciate  you responding...thank you!  I thot it was all back to the cloud automatically.  I went yo the cloud site and nothing was in my folder or what ever. I was/an sure I kept getting a notice that it was backed up.  If it was backed up in my google account how do I get to it?   As you can probably tell I am not very sharp with the computer thing.

Where do I find these recovery dudes if I need them?
  • rtjdl
    Options
    SteveGen...I really appreciate  you responding...thank you!  I thot it was all back to the cloud automatically.  I went yo the cloud site and nothing was in my folder or what ever. I was/an sure I kept getting a notice that it was backed up.  If it was backed up in my google account how do I get to it?   As you can probably tell I am not very sharp with the computer thing.

Where do I find these recovery dudes if I need them?
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    Try logging into google drive and see if there is anything there. If there's nothing on there, nothing was stored to cloud.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045