My Acer swift 3 (SF314-57) suddenly blacked out, flashes black and white and pixelated screen. Help

Kiyoshi
Kiyoshi Member Posts: 1 New User
I was watching a video on youtube while charging suddenly it blacked out, then it flashes black and white while I was moving my mouse then after a few seconds it stabilizes, my screen got pixelated, the interface got pixelated and I turned it off and open it again it reverted to its a normal state like it never happened but when I'm pressing the capslock button the Icon showing in the screen is not showing. I don't know if it's because of charging while using it like watching some videos. and even my screen is blacked out I can still hear the video on youtube playing.

My question is:  

(1.) Is it ok to use my Acer Swift 3 for watching videos on youtube, playing games, and other stuff while charging? will it overheat it?

(2.) What caused the blacking out of my screen, flashing black and white while moving the mouse, and the pixelation of my screen? was it Using my laptop while charging? did it overheat?

(3.) How can I fix this if it happens again?

(4.) How can I prevent this from happening again?

plus my laptop is still new, I bought this last July, it's only been a few months, please Help! Thank you in advance!

Edited: while I was typing it blacked out again even though my laptop is still on. it took me a few minutes to go back to the normal state.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,695 Trailblazer
    Can you show us a picture of what you are seeing?
    1. Yes, you should be able to watch videos even if you are charging.
    2. It sounds more like a driver crash,  but we'll have to know the actual temperatures to be sure.
    3. We really need more diagnostics before trying out any solutions.
    4. Ditto.
    So, can you also run one of the temperature monitoring apps to see where your CPU temps are running? I use Core Temp, but there are plenty of others.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kiyoshi
    billsey said:
    2. It sounds more like a driver crash,  but we'll have to know the actual temperatures to be sure.
    4. Ditto.
    So, can you also run one of the temperature monitoring apps to see where your CPU temps are running? I use Core Temp, but there are plenty of others.

Sorry for the late reply, I observed my laptop for 3 days, on January 1 it is stable, on January 2 at night it blacked out but my keyboard is still glowing (still turned on) now this time January 3 it blacked out again while it is turned on.

1. How to check the Laptops' Temp??
    2. Sorry, What's ditto?
    3. What do mean by driver crash, sir? Is it fixable? Is it serious damage or minimal?
    4. Is it normal that laptops blacked out and other stuff?
    5. I don't know if this is a virus or what, but I full scanned my laptop with windows defender, Bitdefender, and Malwarebytes, it said 'No threats were found'.

As you can see in the picture, my laptop is still on but the screen is black. This happened today, it was 30 minutes ago.

I don't get it I don't do heavy works on my laptop, I only do school kinds of stuff with it and I've just used this for 6 months.
  • Kiyoshi
    billsey said:
    4. Ditto.
    Sorry for the late reply, I observed my laptop for 3 days, on January 1 it is stable, on January 2 at night it blacked out but my keyboard is still glowing (still turned on) now this time January 3 it blacked out again while it is turned on.

1. How to check the Laptops' Temp??
    2. Sorry, What's ditto?
    3. What do mean by driver crash, sir? Is it fixable? Is it serious damage or minimal?
    4. Is it normal that laptops blacked out and other stuff?
    5. I don't know if this is a virus or what, but I full scanned my laptop with windows defender, Bitdefender, and Malwarebytes, it said 'No threats were found'.

As you can see in the picture, my laptop is still on but the screen is black. This happened today, it was 30 minutes ago.

I don't get it I don't do heavy works on my laptop, I only do school kinds of stuff with it and I've just used this for 6 months.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,695 Trailblazer
    Ditto just means 'same answer again'. I believe it's a word borrowed from Italian.
    I use a program called Core Temp to monitor my temperatures. Are you getting just the black screen, and does it work for a while and then fail? Once it has failed does it come back after a while, or stay bad until you have powered off and waited for a while? You mentioned flashing black and white and pixelation, those are more likely to be the software that talks to the graphics chips, or the graphics chips themselves. Overheating could cause it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.