Aspire 5 A515-44 wifi problem: no 5 GHz (only 2.4)

Josathome
Josathome Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2023 in Aspire Laptops
Brandnew Acer Aspire 5 w Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter (driver version 12.0.0.938) is not working w 5 GHz. Only 2.4 GHz networks are visible (and I can connect to it)! I tried several options in the PROPERTIES - WIRELESS MODE section (via devmgmt) and some options make the 5.0 GHz networks visible, but I cannot connect to it. ..All the other computers connect as expected to 5 GHz...
Suggestions?

Best Answer

• Josathome
    Answer ✓
    Update: SOLVED
    I managed to brick my router :s when updating (Freshtomato) router firmware (this has nothing to do with my post here) and as a consequence I had to use the Internet provider's modem (Technicolor) for wireless connections. Guess what? 5 GHz is visible again and I can connect without issues (as well as 2,4 GHz). Without any updates to my laptop.
    This gives me the impression the wireless adapter and the router radio's may not necessary always work together. Because my router is not accessible, I cannot compare wireless settings between the 2...

Answers

• Josathome
    Just found on microsoft update catalogue (https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=QCA61x4A+windows+10) a list w many newer drivers for Qualcomm Atheros, up to version 12.0.0.995, but I am not sure if I can just download and install... I am no IT expert...

• Josathome
    Answer ✓
    Update: SOLVED
    I managed to brick my router :s when updating (Freshtomato) router firmware (this has nothing to do with my post here) and as a consequence I had to use the Internet provider's modem (Technicolor) for wireless connections. Guess what? 5 GHz is visible again and I can connect without issues (as well as 2,4 GHz). Without any updates to my laptop.
    This gives me the impression the wireless adapter and the router radio's may not necessary always work together. Because my router is not accessible, I cannot compare wireless settings between the 2...
This discussion has been closed.