Having coolboost on all the time recommended? Helios 300 Model PH315-52.

Options
jewjawjarf
jewjawjarf Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, I have a Gaming Laptop Predator Helios 300 Model PH315-52. I was wondering if having cool boost on ALL the time was recommended? I do not care for the heavy sound that it makes due to having headphones, I mostly keep my laptop on a table or a small lap desk sort of thing with holes at the bottom.

Best Answer

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Options

Fans are not designed to run at full speed at all times, the bearing may wear out. There is no 'yes or no' answer, it's what you judge as the higher risk.

The laptop is designed to run chips at 90c, it's not designed to not have a fan (so personally o wouldn't do it). 

If you personally don't mind the risk of the fan breaking, that's your call!

Answers

• Leostat
    Options
    It doesn't really make a difference, in theory it may extend the life of the parts by keeping them cooler, but most chips are designed to run at much higher than the 90c the laptop would allow, then the tjmax is 100 for most mobile CPUs where it will thermal throttle itself back down if the laptop let it get that hot. 

I'd be more worried about the fans wearing out of running at max 24/7!
  • jewjawjarf
    jewjawjarf Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    So do you believe it will be fine if I leave it on all the time? Yes or No, please.
  • Leostat
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Options

Fans are not designed to run at full speed at all times, the bearing may wear out. There is no 'yes or no' answer, it's what you judge as the higher risk.

The laptop is designed to run chips at 90c, it's not designed to not have a fan (so personally o wouldn't do it). 

If you personally don't mind the risk of the fan breaking, that's your call!
This discussion has been closed.