SD reader flashes on then off (Aspire TC-220)

Options
mcewena2
mcewena2 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hi,  Whenever I put a card reader in the front slot of my desktop the drive flashes up and the files are accessible for 15-30 seconds then the drive disappears.   Doesn't matter what card I use, I've checked the drivers (both windows and against the acer site) and they report as current.   If it was a loose connection I'd think it would be more intermittent (ie sometimes it wouldn't show at all).   But this is pretty consistent so it seems more like software.   Latest Win10 build now but this has been happening for a long time.   Front USB is fine.

I need to update my cars' maps before the warranty expires and this is the only PC in the house with an SD slot....

Answers

• mcewena2

Tinkerer

Options
    Also, even after it disappears from sight in file manager when i pull it out I still hear the USB disconnect noise even though no devices are listed in the system tray.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    What does Disk Management show when the card is in?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mcewena2

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    What does Disk Management show when the card is in?

Status is healthy, fat32 (for my latest test card), then it disappears.
  • mcewena2

Tinkerer

Options
    Update:  Replaced the current drivers from acer site with the current ones from realtek and all seems good!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Sweet! Let us know if it starts showing up again.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.