How to upgrade the TM5744 with a Qualcomm Atheros AR5B125 to a dual wireless 2.4/5.0 gHz.

max58
max58 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited February 12 in TravelMate and Extensa
I have a TM5744 with Qualcomm Atheros AR5B125 Wireless Network Adapter. It work with 2.4 band only and not with 5.0. Is there any possibility to upgrade or replace this adapter with a dual band one or I have to buy another Laptop up to date?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The Atheros HB125 AR9485 looks like it will work, albeit at the slower speeds of 802.11n. It will still be faster than what you are running now, likely. But 802.11n does give you the 5Gz band as well as the 2.4GHz. I would personally choose one of the Intel cards, they seem to give support longer than Atheros does.
    For reference:
    802.11b  2.4GHz only, 11 Mbps
    802.11g  2.4GHz only, 54 Mbps
    802.11n  2.4GHz and 5GHz, up to 450Mbps
    802.11ac  2.4GHz and 5GHz, up to the gigabit range
    802.11ax  2.4GHz and 5GHz, into the multi-gigabit speeds.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    The Wireless on your TravelMate is a mini-PCIe card that plugs into a socket on the motherboard. They used several different types, the Atheros you have, an Intel and a Broadcom, but they all only have one antenna. To upgrade is a simple matter of swapping your card for a newer one in the same form factor, but you are also going to have to put a second antenna in, figuring out where to place it mostly by trial and error. Luckily if you place it sub-optimally the only result is potentially poor signal levels, not anything catastrophic. The card you have is described as: Foxconn Wireless LAN Atheros HB125 1x1 BGN with an Acer part number: NI.23600.085. Looks for something that does AC as well as the B, G and N.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • max58

Tinkerer

Hi billsey, are AC as well as the B,G and N refer to 802.11 ?  I have 802.11B PREAMBLE.  Iguess I have to look for a card 802.11 AC. Correct?
    If it is, could you please write me the right card name or PN?
  • max58

Tinkerer

edited December 2020
    I checked on the net. Do you think  Atheros HB125 AR9485 fits my needs and  it is also compatible with my TM5744? If you know other models, please write to me. Thanks.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    The Atheros HB125 AR9485 looks like it will work, albeit at the slower speeds of 802.11n. It will still be faster than what you are running now, likely. But 802.11n does give you the 5Gz band as well as the 2.4GHz. I would personally choose one of the Intel cards, they seem to give support longer than Atheros does.
    For reference:
    802.11b  2.4GHz only, 11 Mbps
    802.11g  2.4GHz only, 54 Mbps
    802.11n  2.4GHz and 5GHz, up to 450Mbps
    802.11ac  2.4GHz and 5GHz, up to the gigabit range
    802.11ax  2.4GHz and 5GHz, into the multi-gigabit speeds.
  • max58

Tinkerer

Thank you Billsey for your technical support. Last question. I opened the laptop and I saw that there is just one wire (antenna) . When I'll get the new network dual band card , do you think it will be delivered with two wires (antennas)? If it is, could I connect the antenna already present and then connect the second antenna to the other pin and slip it into the laptop body, trying to find a room, hoping to get the higher signal as possible? 
    Thaks for answer and wish you a Happy New Year.
  • billsey
    Nope, normally you have to order the antennas separately.
  • max58

Tinkerer

Thank you billsey for your patience and sorry for my english.
  • max58

Tinkerer

Hi billsey, tried to find on Amazon the antennas required but I do not even know how to write the correct name of those stuffs to get back the right product. Could you help me? Sorry for bothering you but I'm almost at the end of this trial. Thanks in advance.
  • billsey
    It looks like something like this would work. That was just the first one that came up on the search, there should be lots of other options as well
  • max58

Tinkerer

Yes, I found something from China sites but not on Amazon. this because not knowing  the english right key words to specify clearly what I was looking for.
    Anyway, I guess install those two wires or at least one of them (the other is already wired into my laptop) is very complicated . I read that it has to be wired from the wireless adapter to the upper right corner of the laptop LCD. True thing? Coul you suggest an easier way to wire the antenna 5.0? 
    Thanks
  • max58

Tinkerer

edited January 2021
    A friend of mine gave me, yesterday, the wireless adapter QCA9377. Does it work with Acer TM5744 and the wifi cables you found on Amazon? In case I could buy the Intel 7260 as you suggested me to.
    And what happen if I move the antenna cable already connected to 2.4 pin, to the 5.0 pin only? Would it work?

• billsey
    Wireless Adapter QCA9377 doesn't provide enough information to answer. That number is just the chip used, not the form factor and interface used on the card. Is the card miniPCIe, M.2 or something else? Is it the right size to fit?
    I don't think it will matter greatly where you mount the second antenna, although the farther away from the motherboard the better, so up in the display area would be best. Just don't put it right where the current one is, you want them separated as much as reasonable.
  • max58

Tinkerer

edited January 2021
    The card description is : Kafuty QCA9377 Adapter WiFi Dual Band 2.4G / 5Ghz Adapter PCI Express Wireless per Desktop, 433 Mbps + Bluetooth 4.2.  The size  is 2.9 x 2.6 x 0.3.
    First to install the second antenna , disassembling in invasive way the laptop, I'll try to connect the antenna already present to the pin dedicated to the 5.0 band. Then I choose the connection WI.FI 5.0 from the wi-fi connections list and let's see what happen. In  case the signal would be good or at least adequate, Il will use the laptop only with 5.0. How it sounds?
  • billsey
    That does look like it should work. As far as I can tell that is not available in my country, so I didn't have luck finding it in English... I believe the two antennas are both used for 2.4GHz and for 5GHz rather than one for each.
  • max58

Tinkerer

OK, just to bring you up to speed,  i've intstalled the new adapter. Got some problems with the drivers download  but now the adapter is  up and running. At the moment I've not  a dual band access point but my brother has it, so tomorrow I'll move to my brother's house and gonna test the 5.0 band. If it works, I'm gonna order a dual band access point on Amazon. I keep u posted. Thanks.
  • billsey
    Great! Let us know how it works out.
  • max58

Tinkerer

Hi, test ok.
    -Speed privided by the router, up to 1 Gb/s Optcal fibre. (if I connect dirctly my i7 Lenovo desktop, speed test 985 MB/s
    -The TravelMate 5744 is equipped with an Intel Core i3-370M processsor.
    -The router is directly connected to the Access point Fritz 2400 Dual Band wifi.
    -Direct ethernet connection TM5744  to the router, max speed 100 Mb/s
    -Connection TM5744 wifi 2.4 close to the wifi access point FRITZ 2400 Dual Band , speed test up to 60 Mb/s.
    -Connection TM5744 wifi 5.0 close to the wifi Access point FRITZ 2400 Dual band, speed test up to 150 Mb/s.
    -With the old wifi adapter  802.11 b, never get more than 35 Mb/s.

Hope I provided you a clear picture of the network situation.

I consider myself more than satisfied and I've just ordered on Amazon the same Fritz 2400 dual band wifi access point I tested at my brother's house.
    I thank you for your time, your technical advices and for your patience.

This discussion has been closed.