Having difficulty moving Windows 10 to my new internal SSD AN515-53-52FA)

00000AMillion
00000AMillion Member Posts: 5 New User
edited December 2020 in Nitro Gaming
Hi there!
My girlfriend has an Acer Nitro 5 laptop (model: AN515-53-52FA) and I got her an internal SSD for Christmas to help speed things up. The SSD I got her is a 250gb Crucial NVMe M.2 SSD, which I checked and is compatible with this laptop model. I installed it and, after a little trial and error, got Windows to recognize it in File Explorer. So, right now it's completely empty and formatted as NTFS. I'm trying to to a clean install of Windows 10 onto it and make it the laptop's boot drive, but my BIOS does not detect this new SSD at all. Both File Explorer and Disk Management can see the SSD without issue, but for some reason I can't select it as a boot drive in the BIOS.

I've tried to do this both with the current 1TB drive still in the laptop and with no drives except the SSD installed. As per several guides on this, I made sure to set the SATA mode to AHCI, but I suppose since this is an M.2 drive that doesn't make a difference.

Furthermore, the USB bootable media that I'm trying to install onto the SSD doesn't show up in the bootable drives, either.

I formatted the drive to GPT from disk management.

When I booted up my computer at first, this popped up. Apparently, this means that the drive is about to die, which is very strange because it's new and it seems to work fine as far as extra storage goes (BIOS issues notwithstanding). This is strange considering that it's a brand new drive, so hopefully I didn't buy a lemon.

Here's an album of all the menus from the BIOS, if that helps: https://imgur.com/a/mvDqUuQ

So right now I'm at a complete loss as to how to proceed, and any help is much appreciated.

Other specs:
  • i5-8300H CPU
  • 8GB of RAM
  • Current OS: Windows 10 Home, Version 2004, build # 19041.685

Answers