Aspire One - Model O5324 - Internet Connection

Options
AKFlyer
AKFlyer Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 18 in 2020 Archives
I have an older model Aspire One (Windows XP) (would like to use with older GPS); I have a strong wireless Internet Connection indicated but am unable to get online (have tried the standard solutions and went back to a factory reset).  I get a Firewall Issue Port 80, 443, & 21 (disabled Firewall settings otherwise).  Suggestions indicate an update to wireless network adapter - Atheros AR 5895 installed. I  don't seem to find anything (yet) on the ACER site.  Stuck for the moment because my main computer is a Macbook, so does anybody know: Is there an update to the driver and is there a way to get it on disk so it could be uploaded.  This from a process of elimination. Thnaks.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,921 Trailblazer
    Options
    I don't believe there are drivers available for that old of a system. You could try one of the external WiFi adapters, but again they are not likely to have drivers for XP.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AKFlyer
    Options
    Thanks.  I was hoping to slavage, but it seems, if I could make any progress at all...I might as well find something else.  
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,921 Trailblazer
    Options
    You could give a try at installing Windows 7, then upgrading to Windows 10. Many of the peripheral devices won't work and you'll want to be using the 32 bit versions. I have a couple of 2006 vintage laptops here that are running Windows 10... Just make sure it works before buying the license. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jonathan56789
    jonathan56789 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I just tried https://whereaminow.co/what-county-am-i-in/ to check whether my GPS is working or not. But It is working OK.
  • AKFlyer
    Options
    I am not sure what I did, but I rebooted everything & turned some things on in Internet Options and found I could connect via Google and then I managed to connect to Firefox and was able to load Firefox and utilize it instead of Internet Explorer.  In any cae, this seems to be working for my limited purposes. Thanks for other answers.