power button on my Aspire t-780 suddenly doesn't turn on the computer unless I keep pressing it

ang133
ang133 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
It used to turn on by touching it. But now it takes several minutes of trying. Not sure what to do. I always wonder if it's not going to turn on.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I think you are likely going to be best off to find a local technician who can just replace the button for you. I expect you will find that the old one if corroded inside, causing intermittent contact.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Can you use a VOM to test the switch? It may be corroded inside and only making contact rarely.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ang133

Tinkerer

how do I do that?
  • billsey
    Do you have a Volt Ohm Meter? you open the machine up and trace the wires from the power button to the motherboard, unplug it and then measure between the two wires as you press and release the button. You should see almost no resistance when the button is pressed and close to infinite resistance when the button is released.
  • ang133

Tinkerer

I like your answer--but I'm not tech savvy enough to accomplish this.
  • Skuddle
    Skuddle Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean that you have to press and hold the power switch down until it starts, or do you mean that you have to press the switch and let go, press the switch again and let go, and keep doing that until the computer starts?
  • ang133

Tinkerer

Hello Skuddle,

Yes--I need to find the sweet spot on the power button that turns on the computer. It's getting better, so it turns on faster. I used to be able to just touch it and it turned on.

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    I think you are likely going to be best off to find a local technician who can just replace the button for you. I expect you will find that the old one if corroded inside, causing intermittent contact.
  • Skuddle
    Skuddle Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

ang133 said:
    Hello Skuddle,

Yes--I need to find the sweet spot on the power button that turns on the computer. It's getting better, so it turns on faster. I used to be able to just touch it and it turned on.

Sorry, I can't help you other than to say it could be a worn-out power switch. :/