Can I turn off the screen only but keep the machine running? - Aspire Z3-715

ConnieV
ConnieV Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hi, is there a way to only turn off the screen but keep the machine running? Sometimes I need to download a large file or render a video that I make, and the process could take hours. I want to just let the computer run overnight so that it will be ready in the morning, however I wonder if there is a way to turn of the display so that I won't have light when I sleep.
I found a black button on the left side of the computer above the USB, SD Card and headphone plugs, when I press it looks like there is an option to switch off the display in the menu that pops up in the bottom left corner. If I keep pressing the black button, the highlighting switches between that option and the EXIT icon. However I could not figure out how to choose that option.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    edited December 2020
    Hi,
    Yes, you can turn off the screen with switch 1 in my snip, press once to switch off, can you please post the picture of the options on screen when you press the button.

• ConnieV

Tinkerer

Thanks for your reply.
    Here is a photo showing the menu that pops up when I press your Switch 1 once:
    Need to know what's the next step from here.
    Hi,
    Yes, you can turn off the screen with switch 1 in my snip, press once to switch off, can you please post the picture of the options on screen when you press the button.

• Hi,
    Select the option marked with orange circle, other options are greyed out, so can not select them.

• ConnieV

Tinkerer

Yes. I know this this the option that I am supposed to choose, and I have already stated it in my initial question. The problem is how to select it.

Hi,
    Select the option marked with orange circle, other options are greyed out, so can not select them.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    edited December 2020
    I think it's a touch panel, you can touch it to activate or if you are using a keyboard, use the cursor to point at it and click.
  • ConnieV

Tinkerer

edited December 2020
    Just realized that I made a typo in my last comment. Should be "this is". Sorry for the confusion.
    I tried both touching and using the mouse to click it but don't work. Only the item below the menu in the actual display gets clicked.

I think it's a touch panel, you can touch it to activate or if you are using a keyboard, use the cursor to point at it and click.

• Sorry, I have no idea but please wait for someone else  with touch panel experience  to respond.
    Contact Acer | Quick Response for Tech and Customer Service
  • ConnieV

Tinkerer

Thanks for providing the Acer Customer Service link, however my computer has exceed the warranty period so they would not take my chat...
    By the way, maybe I should use the word "beneath" instead of "below" in my last comment.
    Sorry, I have no idea but please wait for someone else  with touch panel experience  to respond.
    Contact Acer | Quick Response for Tech and Customer Service

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Here are instructions for your OSD on the Aspire Z3-715:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ConnieV

Tinkerer

Thanks for your reply. Before I posted this question here, I had already researched and found these instructions elsewhere. However, It does not mention how to select the icon.
    billsey said:
    Here are instructions for your OSD on the Aspire Z3-715:

• billsey
    When you select an icon using the button, then leave it sitting for a few seconds, does it not change to the selection?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ConnieV

Tinkerer

No. The menu will just close (disappear) if I leave it sitting for a few seconds.

billsey said:
    When you select an icon using the button, then leave it sitting for a few seconds, does it not change to the selection?

• billsey
    Hmm, what happens when you make a long press of the button?
  • ConnieV

Tinkerer

If I do a long press when the "Turn Screen Off" icon is highlighted, the highlighting switches to "EXIT" the moment I press the button down.
    However, when "EXIT" is highlighted, and I do a long press, the highlighting does not switch back to the "Turn Screen Off" icon, the menu will disappear after a few seconds, and then if I press the button again, a different menu would show up:

billsey said:
    Hmm, what happens when you make a long press of the button?

• billsey
    Heheh, it looks like we've discovered the way to get into their factory test mode. :) I've sent a message up the chain to get a clarification on how it's supposed to work...
  • ConnieV

Tinkerer

Thanks! I am currently using Windows 10's power saving mode (set the Turn Off Screen time to very short) as a work around, but I would still like to know how the OSD menu should be controlled.
    billsey said:
    Heheh, it looks like we've discovered the way to get into their factory test mode. :) I've sent a message up the chain to get a clarification on how it's supposed to work...

• billsey
    So I heard back and they say the OSD is only useful when displaying an external source, so it doesn't actually do anything when the AIO computer is running. So... keep on using the screen timeout, or use the sleep key to shut the monitor down.
  • ConnieV

Tinkerer

But the "sleep" key would put the computer to sleep, right? Meaning it will not continue my downloading or rendering process during the sleep. Currently I am setting the Turn Off Screen time to very short but the Sleep time to Never.
    billsey said:
    So I heard back and they say the OSD is only useful when displaying an external source, so it doesn't actually do anything when the AIO computer is running. So... keep on using the screen timeout, or use the sleep key to shut the monitor down.

• billsey
    Try a screen saver instead. Set it to blank and the timing appropriately.
  • ConnieV

Tinkerer

Even thought it's a black screen saver it still feels like there is some light...
    I think currently I will stay with my Turn Off Screen time work around...
    billsey said:
    Try a screen saver instead. Set it to blank and the timing appropriately.