Predator Triton 500 PT515-51 with Thunderbolt 3 dock (Dell WD19TB) and external monitor not working

paulieb3
paulieb3 Member Posts: 2 New User
Please, can anyone help!

So I don't have cables running everywhere, i'm trying to use a Dell WD19TB Thunderbolt 3 dock to connect my external monitor. The dock is recognised on the Thunderbolt Control Centre app, and Windows display settings recognises there is a monitor attached, but the monitor doesn't get any signal. I've tried HDMI, DisplayPort and DisplayPort over USB-C from the dock to the monitor and none work. Other dock functions seem to work fine and the dock works fine with external monitors when I use a different laptop.

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    It didn't work for me either with a WD18TB (I think), the same dock works fine on a dell laptop though. I think it's dell being dell and restricting it. When it would work and drop in and out and be a terrible experience
  • paulieb3
    paulieb3 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Gah, that would suck. Has anyone managed to get a Dell Thunderbolt 3 dock working with a Triton 500?
  • shinobi441
    shinobi441 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hello,

Bumping because I too am experiencing a similar issue. I am using the CalDigit TS3 and can confirm ALL functionality works except for getting my Dell monitor to work via a DisplayPort connection into the dock. Looking into the Nvidia Control Panel, it seems my laptop (Predator PT715-51) can detect the display but for cannot activate it for whatever reason.

Let's look at some screenshots below. As you can see, the graphics card IS detecting the display. Trying to check that box in the second screenshot to activate it does absolutely nothing except prompt a "Apply Changes" message - so it can sense inputs/outputs, but can't work! @Acer please help, this forum is riddled with folks trying to get their TB3 ports to work as advertised. (FYI, yes it does say the TB3 port works with DisplayPort AV signals in the laptops manual - so it's not one of those segmented-offerings TB3 Windows computers.) @Leostat any thoughts here?

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    In the thunderblt control center does the dock show as the correct device / authorised? And to get rid of the low hanging fruit, have you tried another cable (just to discount it as an issue! And also assuming you are doing dp to dp). As a "i mean it cant hurt" as well people over on the nvidia forums are suggesting that there may be a crazy way of getting it to work:
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/142984/nvidia-control-panel-recognizes-display-but-checkb/ 

The triton deffinlty supports it as i used it all the time! (well usbc to hdmi, i had an awfull time with my dell dock)

(Also its better to start a new thread!, just allows for easier indexing / keeping track of models  :)