My laptop doesn't recognise my headset? Aspire A315-56

desbest
desbest Member Posts: 54 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited December 2020 in Aspire Laptops
My laptop doesn't recognise my headset. When I plug it in it asks me what audio device I plugged in, I choose headset then click OK. But no sound plays while it's plugged in and Playback Devices says that the headphones aren't plugged in.
I have installed the latest Audio driver from the Acer website and it doesn't help. Restarting the Audio Service and running the Audio Troubleshooter also doesn't work as it says no headset is plugged in.

However if I uninstall the Realtek driver and use the generic Microsoft driver it works, but not with the Realktek driver that Acer provided.

I'm using Windows 10 and Aspire A315-56

Best Answer

• desbest
    Answer ✓
    I asked for help on the Microsoft forum and got a solution.

Using Device Manager to scan for new hardware, automatically update drivers by searching the computer for updated drivers, and using Windows Update to look for updated drivers failed to help.

Using the hyperlinks provided by people on the Microsoft forum, the different methods mentioned failed to work for me. However it was suggested that I download software designed to find updates to installed drivers. I have 3 such software installed.

Driver Booster found me some updated audio drivers but that didn't solve the problem. Driver Talent couldn't find me any updated audio drivers. Driver Fix found me 4 audio drivers and one of them solved the problem.

Out of the 4 audio drivers Driver Fix suggested, one installer failed to run giving a blank error message. Two were designed for other computer manufacturers (HP and Gigabyte) so it shouldn't be run on my (Acer) computer (one failed to install anything and the other one corrupted my audio driver so I had to use device manager to rollback the driver). And another one was both an Intel and Realtek driver combined in one. In my case it was called Audio_Realtek_10.29.0.4479_W10x64 or Realtek Audio Effects Component 01/02/2020. Although the file and driver identifies as Realtek in the file and folder name in Windows Explorer, it also contains files to do with Intel HD Audio Smart Sound Technology.

After installing this driver, my computer then started to recognise my headphones after I plugged it in. It looks like my computer manufacturer (Acer) is providing a faulty or outdated driver on their (Acer) website. I will contact them about this so they can update their website.

The problem is solved now. :)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    >>>However if I uninstall the Realtek driver and use the generic Microsoft driver it works, but not with the Realktek driver that Acer provided.>>>

What problems are you having with the newer Microsoft driver? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• desbest
    The only thing wrong with the generic Microsoft audio driver, is that it doesn't come with Stereo Mix, so Stereo Mix doesn't appear in the recording tab in the Sound settings.
  • JackE
    Use DeviceManager to search for an updated driver. If no joy, download and install iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if it'll pick up a better driver. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• desbest
    I used Device Manager to search the computer for an updated driver and search Windows Update for an updated driver and nothing was found.
    However I did use Driver Booster to update the Realtek sound driver then I restarted my computer and it now works.
    It seems like the Realtek Audio Driver listed on the support page for my laptop, is outdated.
    Strangely enough, when I went to Properties on the Realtek driver after upgrading it, there was no Rollback Driver button to click.

It works now. Thank you! :)
  • desbest
    edited December 2020
    My previous message has some mistakes in it and this forum won't let me edit it.

Looking at Device Manager, there's an Intel audio driver and a Realtek audio driver. My computer was like that when I brought it.
    The Acer website only provides the Realtek audio driver, so I had to upgrade the Intel driver with Driver Booster then restart.
    The Acer website fails to show the Intel audio driver for download, so it should be added there.

Even so, my headphones still aren't recognised. Windows Update and using Device Manager to upgrade the driver, did not find any new versions to upgrade the driver with so nothing happened.
  • JackE
    >>>It works now. Thank you!>>>
    >>>Even so, my headphones still aren't recognised.>>>

I'm confused???? Does it work or not after the DriverBooster update? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• desbest
    Sorry I previously said the wrong thing.
    At the time of writing, on December the 4th, I used Driver Booster to update the Intel Display Audio driver, and it still didn't work.
    However 3 weeks later on December the 25th, I just tried it now and now it works. I don't know what changed, but I suppose the Windows Update installed in December fixed it.

I consider this topic solved. Thank you for your help.
  • desbest
    Hello again

Sorry for the earlier confusion. See the following video.

When I plug in my headset (or headphones), the Realtek window appears asking me what I plugged in. I then choose headset or headphones.

But when opening up the Playback tab under the Sound window, my headphones/headset is not detected.

However it is detected when uninstalling the Realtek audio drivers and using the generic Microsoft audio driver.

Is there a way to get my laptop to recognise my headset?

• JackE
    How old is your headset? What brand and model number? Some models have improperly fitting plugs that are too loose or have incompatible mic connections. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• desbest
    I brought it brand new on the 29th of November 2020. It's a Skullcandy Knockout.
  • JackE
    >>>However it is detected when uninstalling the Realtek audio drivers and using the generic Microsoft audio driver.>>>

OK. What is the problem(s) with the generic driver? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• desbest
    edited January 2021
    I have tried it with the Microsoft generic audio driver (high definition audio), and it still doesn't work with that either.
    Both the realtek audio driver and the microsoft generic audio driver fails to recognise my headset.
  • desbest
    Also when using the playing audio troubleshooter I received this error.

• JackE
    You first said this >>>However it is detected when uninstalling the Realtek audio drivers and using the generic Microsoft audio driver.>>>

Now you said this >>>Both the realtek audio driver and the microsoft generic audio driver fails to recognise my headset.>>>

Which is it? Or is the headset sometimes detected and sometimes not detected? If the latter, the headset plug's TRRS contacts are probably not making good connections with the corresponding contects inside the jack. Try another headset. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• desbest
    Answer ✓
    I asked for help on the Microsoft forum and got a solution.

Using Device Manager to scan for new hardware, automatically update drivers by searching the computer for updated drivers, and using Windows Update to look for updated drivers failed to help.

Using the hyperlinks provided by people on the Microsoft forum, the different methods mentioned failed to work for me. However it was suggested that I download software designed to find updates to installed drivers. I have 3 such software installed.

Driver Booster found me some updated audio drivers but that didn't solve the problem. Driver Talent couldn't find me any updated audio drivers. Driver Fix found me 4 audio drivers and one of them solved the problem.

Out of the 4 audio drivers Driver Fix suggested, one installer failed to run giving a blank error message. Two were designed for other computer manufacturers (HP and Gigabyte) so it shouldn't be run on my (Acer) computer (one failed to install anything and the other one corrupted my audio driver so I had to use device manager to rollback the driver). And another one was both an Intel and Realtek driver combined in one. In my case it was called Audio_Realtek_10.29.0.4479_W10x64 or Realtek Audio Effects Component 01/02/2020. Although the file and driver identifies as Realtek in the file and folder name in Windows Explorer, it also contains files to do with Intel HD Audio Smart Sound Technology.

After installing this driver, my computer then started to recognise my headphones after I plugged it in. It looks like my computer manufacturer (Acer) is providing a faulty or outdated driver on their (Acer) website. I will contact them about this so they can update their website.

The problem is solved now. :)

• desbest
    JackE said:
    You first said this >>>However it is detected when uninstalling the Realtek audio drivers and using the generic Microsoft audio driver.>>>

Now you said this >>>Both the realtek audio driver and the microsoft generic audio driver fails to recognise my headset.>>>

Which is it? Or is the headset sometimes detected and sometimes not detected? If the latter, the headset plug's TRRS contacts are probably not making good connections with the corresponding contects inside the jack. Try another headset. Jack E/NJ

I've just tried it earlier today, and my headset was not detected in both instances. With either the realtek audio driver and the generic microsoft audio driver.

Sorry for the confusion.

Well I used the Microsoft forum today and got a working solution (see above).

Thank you for your time and help.
  • JackE
    Thanks for the report back. The problem is more likely related to a rapidfire major Win10 update. They happen about every six months and are almost completely new Windows versions that can affect relatively stable manufacturer drivers. Make sure System Protection is turned on inside your Control Panel restore point application because oftentimes the next  major Win10 update doesn't yet have any stable drivers and must be uninstalled and temporarily blocked by Microsoft's update hide tool until a future update fixes the issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• desbest
    edited January 2021
    Another thing that's important to note with System Restore, as that by default Windows allocates 1% of your hard drive to be used for System Restore snapshots. Given how large each snapshot is in Windows 10, I recommend that this is increased to 3%, as with 1% of a 1TB hard drive, only one System Restore snapshot will be able to be saved at any one time. It's always good to have multiple System Restore snapshots to refer back to.
  • JackE
    More good advice. Thanks. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ