Windows install fail with new Sang

Lanc424
Lanc424 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have Swift 3 that has had a SSD drive fail. I purchased a 500 gb Samsung 970 drive.. Everything goes fine with a clean install from a USB ISO Windows install but it fails at around 10% says files are missing. I have tried external DVD Boot as well. Any help would be appreciated. Bios finds proper drive.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,321 Trailblazer
    Lanc424 said:
    I have Swift 3 that has had a SSD drive fail. I purchased a 500 gb Samsung 970 drive.. Everything goes fine with a clean install from a USB ISO Windows install but it fails at around 10% says files are missing. I have tried external DVD Boot as well. Any help would be appreciated. Bios finds proper drive.

First Lanc424, you should never ever show a caption of your SNID and S/N numbers (just some sound advice)!

Have you completely formatted the drive during installation? If not you have to do that, have a look at this comprehensive guide “How to do a Clean Install of Windows 10 the Easy Way” of what to do at:  How to do a Clean Install of Windows 10 the Easy Way (howtogeek.com)) as you are doing something wrong as a ‘Clean Install” is a very simple process.

• Lanc424
    Thanks for your response. Yes I am using the tool and doing a format of the partition. Thats the crazy thing I've been working on computers since DOS. This is the first time the media creation tool has failed me. I was hoping someone else has experienced this .. This is the first time I have changed an SSD drive like this.. It shows in Bios and the creation tool sees it and allows format. I had to change it from GTP to MBR and have tried changing to legacy and the install fails .. puzzled 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,284 Trailblazer
    A format of the partition and cleaning the partitions off the drive are two different things. Delete the partitions and let the Windows installer replace them. It needs to be GPT, not MBR. Everything after Windows 7 uses GPT and UEFI.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Lanc424
    Thats what I thought but during the initial install windows said it could not work on a GPT drive. The New USB kingston stick im using to do the install .was formatted fat 32 from factory.  Does it need to be NTFS? 
    Thanks for your help
  • billsey
    Likely it is something like that. How did you create the install image? Using Rufus or MS Media Creation Tool?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Lanc424
    Ms media creation first.. no go
    Rufus next. Still no go
  • billsey
    OK, which ISO image are you working with? Is there a chance it's corrupt?
  • Lanc424
    I have tried 3  ver 1909 on DVD  Ver 20h2 on USB and 20h2 on USB using Rufus for GPT LOAD
  • billsey
    I wonder if either the flash drive is a fake and doesn't really have the full capacity or the new SSD is bad. When you use Rufus to create the 20H2 install try turning on the "Check for bad blocks" option under Advanced.
  • Lanc424
    Tried 2 different brand new kingston 64 gb and rufus found no errors  ... confused
  • billsey
    Have you got an external case you can use to test the SSD?
  • Lanc424
    This is not an ssd 2.5  it is a 970 samsung stick 6 pins and 5 pins. Do they make a USB adaptor for these
  • billsey
    Yup, I picked up a couple of them on Amazon when I was doing the upgrades to my desktop.