Max Storage of M.2 of Helios 300 PH 317-53

Abhinash
Abhinash Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hey guys.
I just got my new Helios 300 PH 317-53.
It has 2 M.2 Nvme slots.
So my question is whats the maximum capacity per M.2 slot of my laptop ?
Because, I am really in need of total 6TB of space.
Can I put 2 x 2TB M.2 Nvme in my PH 317-53  and 1 x 2TB HDD ?

Answers

• Abhinash said:
    Hey guys.
    It has 2 M.2 Nvme slots.

You can put 2x 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD’s as the Helios 300 PH 317-53 has got a GPT BIOS and it can handle over 2TB capacity drives per slot, here is a brief explanation why and how it works:

To use spacious hard drive(s) that are larger than 2TB in Windows 10 as bootable and a non-bootable drive, a GPT partition table is required. If you have an MBR/Legacy BIOS and drive you can't as the limit is 2TB, so you have to have a GPT type BIOS. 

• Abhinash
    StevenGen said:
    Abhinash said:
    Hey guys.
    It has 2 M.2 Nvme slots.

You can put 2x 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD’s as the Helios 300 PH 317-53 has got a GPT BIOS and it can handle over 2TB capacity drives per slot, here is a brief explanation why and how it works:

To use spacious hard drive(s) that are larger than 2TB in Windows 10 as bootable and a non-bootable drive, a GPT partition table is required. If you have an MBR/Legacy BIOS and drive you can't as the limit is 2TB, so you have to have a GPT type BIOS. 

Steve did you mistyped 2 x 4TB M.2 ?
    Because as I asked about 2 x 2TB M.2

• Abhinash said:
    StevenGen said:
    Abhinash said:
    Hey guys.
    It has 2 M.2 Nvme slots.

"Abhinash" you said "Because, I am really in need of total 6TB of space" which means you can put 1x4TB in one M.2 slot and 1x 2TB in the other M.2 slot or if you want more space then you can put 2x 4TB NVMe M.2 drives as they will work in the PH 317-53 2x M/2 slots , that is what I meant, as thee is no limit with a GPT/UEFI BIOS on the size of the drive, its not like an MBR/Legacy BIOS. 
  • Abhinash
    StevenGen said:
    Abhinash said:
    StevenGen said:
    Abhinash said:
    Hey guys.
    It has 2 M.2 Nvme slots.

"Abhinash" you said "Because, I am really in need of total 6TB of space" which means you can put 1x4TB in one M.2 slot and 1x 2TB in the other M.2 slot or if you want more space then you can put 2x 4TB NVMe M.2 drives as they will work in the PH 317-53 2x M/2 slots , that is what I meant, as thee is no limit with a GPT/UEFI BIOS on the size of the drive, its not like an MBR/Legacy BIOS. 
    Alright, I get you this time.
    But since I am new, I don't know much about BIOS and UEFI.
    1. Can you tell me how BIOS and UEFI is based on the drive in which we install OS or it is based on the Hardware ?
    2. After I buy a new SSD will that drive be in MBR or GPT form ?