Acer Predator G9-793 dead battery reads 100-255%

Options
SylenThunder
SylenThunder Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Ok, so the battery is basically dead. It doesn't hold a charge as near as I can tell, or is simply no longer charging at all. The PC has basically been plugged into AC for the past four years, and is rarely running on battery. I did finally find the hole on the back to try to reset things, but that just made the battery read 100% for a bit until it started reading 255% again.

Tried running the Win 10 battery report, but it doesn't show anything. All the useful information is "-".

Is there a way to "reset" the battery so it can hold a charge again? Barring that, is there a way to replace the battery?   I realize I'll have to disassemble the device a bit to get to the battery. I plan on doing that in the near future to replace the failing thermal paste anyway.

Answers

• SylenThunder

Tinkerer

edited November 2020
    Options
    Ok, so I have again powered the system off and flushed the power. I then pressed and held the battery "reset" button for over 5 seconds as recommended. Upon starting the laptop, Windows shows the battery is charged, and at 100%. The Acer Care Center checkup shows battery health is good when I push the "Check now" button.
    The Battery light on the laptop is blinking amber on and off. Each blink is about a second long. I'm not sure if this means that it is charging, or if it indicates an issue. The information in the manual simply states that "The light shows amber when the battery is charging". Even though it shows 100% battery, if I unplug the power, the unit shuts off instantly.  Upon powering up after plugging the AC adapter back in, now the battery LED is a solid amber. Windows still shows it at 100%, and the Acer care center test shows status is Good. Which is really odd since it apparently doesn't actually have a charge considering that it will not power the laptop with the AC power removed.

EDIT: After a few minutes, now the battery LED is blinking again. I've gone through the whole manual, and there is no indication of a difference between blinking and solid. Only that Amber means it is charging, and red indicates it is fully charged.
  • SylenThunder

Tinkerer

Options
    Ok, it's been plugged in for close to 24 hours now. Battery LED is still blinking amber. Windows says 255% available on the system tray battery icon, and opening the status windows shows 100% charged.
    And if I unplug it, it will turn off instantly.

So WTSF is going on here, and how to we fix it?

When we purchased this unit 4 years ago, I was under the impression that it would cycle the battery and maintain it automatically to prevent this kind of an issue.
  • SylenThunder

Tinkerer

Options
    Ok, I'm at a complete loss here. It's been plugged in and "charging" for days. There is no change in the disposition.
    We have an Acer Aspire F5-571 that is a few months older. Has been treated basically the same, and has zero issues.

It's getting to be a little bit frustrating as this thread appears to be mostly ignored.